Chapter 20: Telling the sheriff

Start from the beginning

Both Scott and I jumped dramatically and he huffed in frustration. "Will someone please explain why it's a big deal that you... met... someone..." he seemed to have put the pieces together as he trailed off and stared at me. "Stiles?"

Scott seemed to know I needed an extra second- that or he took pity on me. "His name is Paul," he blurted out, and then bit his lip to keep from saying any more.

Dads eyes moved between Scott and I before coming to officially rest on me. The weight of his gaze felt like I had to be making a hole in the floor with the extra thousand pounds he was shooting at me.

"His name is Paul Lahote," I elaborated in a weak voice. I took a big gulp before continuing. "He's a... he's essentially a werewolf. And he- he imprinted on me."

"Imprinted?" He asked, speaking the foreign word in befuddlement. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's... well it's sort of hard to explain..." he gave me a flat look, and I knew that wasn't going to cut it.

"Maybe we should start from the beginning?" Scott offered uncertainly. I gulped and nodded. "We went to Forks, Washington to make an alliance with the Quileute pack. But Derek didn't call ahead- or couldn't. And then we were at the beach, and they showed up- but so did a vampire... and then Derek went off with them chasing said-," my dad cut Scott's rambling off with wide, disbelieving eyes.

"Vampire?" He interrupted incredulously, eyebrows raising.

"Vampire," I confirmed, pressing my lips together. "Who knew?" I shrugged casually.

It took him a moment to swallow that one, and I knew there would be more discussion on the topic later.

"And this pack... they're essentially werewolves?" He asked, using my own words from earlier, making air quotes with a narrowing of his eyes.

"That's where it gets weird. The Quileutes are a tribe- a tribe with shapeshifter genes. They just happen to shift into wolves... which is why they call themselves werewolves- or why the local vampires do anyway," I explained rapidly.

At 'local vampires' my dads eyes grew a little wider, he looked like he thought we had gone to a different planet, not a different state- but he let that go for now.

"And the imprinting?" He asked.

I gulped nervously. "It's- it's hard to explain. But it's a thing that happens to the shape shifters. It's derived from tribe magic- imprinting for them is like an actual werewolf finding its mate... or a human finding their soulmate- if we're comparing. But they're all different in their own way. Anyway- Paul... well- as soon as he saw me he imprinted- I didn't really know until a week later when one of the other wolves- Jared- spilled the beans-," I was full out, Stiles-rambling now. The words were tumbling from my mouth faster than I could control them.

"Stiles!" My dad barked, and I took a deep breath. Once I had relaxed a little bit, he started to speak. "You still haven't really explained the imprinting thing."

"I'll explain it the same way they did. When they meet their imprints eyes for the first time... it's like the world stops. Like gravity isn't holding them here anymore, the imprint is. They are forever tied to that person. They would do anything- or be anything for them. A brother, a friend- or... a lover," I spoke wearily, not daring to meet his eyes. I hated the word lover- it always sounded so ridiculous, like it should be in a joke. But it seemed like the best word to describe it in this moment.

"Do they- I mean do you- have a choice?" He asked, his voice betraying his fatherly concern.

"Of course dad!" I shouted in anger, but regained control of myself a moment later. The idea that Paul- that any of them would force themselves upon their imprints- it was downright infuriating. None of them would ever... and I was nearly lost in my own mind again. Pull it together Stilinski. "Hence the be anything for their imprint."

"Okay so... this Paul. Is he a brother, or a friend... or the... other thing?" Dad asked cautiously.

"Well... he's- I- well he's..." I couldn't seem to say it without a sense of how he was going to react. "The imprint works both ways... and well he-,"

"He's Stiles' boyfriend," Scott put it in simple terms. I shot him a seething glare and he shrugged helplessly. I gave him the 'I'll deal with you later' eyes.

"Boyfriend?!" Dad exclaimed. "After barely a week of knowing the guy- he's your boyfriend? Stiles don't you think-," oh man, I could hear a lecture coming on. Not today Sheriff Stilinski, not to-day.

I just rolled my eyes and threw my hands in the air. "Yes! Okay?! Yes. He's my werewolf boyfriend that lives 16 hours away! And- I'd like you to meet him!" I shouted at him. The look on his face softened and with it my breathing began to slow.

"Welp- my work here is done! See you Stilinski men later," Scott winked, heading for the door. But not before pausing to check on me. I gave him a small nod and he smiled before leaving.

It was quiet for a moment- both of us seemingly lost in our own thoughts, trying to process. Dad sighed, which made me meet his eyes. Hey gestured his head to the couch beside him and I complied, drumming my fingers on my thigh anxiously.

"Stiles- I didn't mean to- to freak out like that... but come on! Dumping vampires and mates and soulmates and imprinting- and... and boyfriends on me like that-," he gave me his best reproachful dad look.

"You get a pass," I smirked. "But just this once."

"I guess I just don't have much experience with you- dating," he chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck unconsciously.

"Ugh! You wound me," I put a hand against my forehead dramatically and clutched my chest. Nothing like a good hit to the ego from your own father.

"You know what I mean," dad rolled his eyes. He was quiet again before he continued. "Well- why don't you try telling me about it again? Without all of the nervous energy."

"I supposed I could attempt that," I sighed with a wink.

I proceeded to explain it all to him- in great detail. How it happened, how I felt, what Paul means to me now, how the pack felt about it, what Derek and Scott thought of him. All of it. But not without my usual energy levels I'm afraid. He had to remind me to slow down and breathe a few times with just a look. A look he had perfected over the years of having a hyperactive son.

"Werewolf married?!" He just about shrieked, making me snort out a laugh.

"Dad- he's my literal soulmate. I literally can't even picture a future without him. Believe me- I tried," I scoffed. "I was totally freaked when I actually found out what was going on. But he's right for me dad. You'll see for yourself when you're ready," even I could hardly believe the surety in my tone.

"Just- let's just not get carried away with the whole married thing yet... alright?" He asked wearily.

"Dad- I'm pretty much a grown ass man," I defended myself with a frown.

"Stiles- you'll never be a 'grown ass man'," he said flatly. But it wasn't meant as an insult, which we both knew. It was my dad saying that I will always be his childlike son in his eyes, and I was okay with that. Mostly.

"So..." I trailed off, wiggling my eyebrows at him.

"Oh lord- don't tell me. You're actually in a three way relationship with both a werewolf and a vampire?" He sassed, raising a brow.

"Jesus- dad! No!" I choked, which only made him laugh. "I was going to ask if you would like to meet my singular- as in one- boyfriend?" My voice got weirdly squeaky at the end, and he snickered. I was about to get saucy when he raised his hand innocently.

"Alright- alright!" He laughed heartily, and I practically dove into my pocket for my phone.