Chapter 19: Home sweet...

Start from the beginning

We had a Rocky marathon, complete with popcorn and a pizza break for lunch. I tried to settle my mind and focus on the time I was getting to spend with him. We rarely got days like these anymore. But he always did make a point of it. If he was on a nasty, time consuming case and we hadn't seen each other in days or weeks, he would always take a day off. Even if I had school, he would pull me out and we would spend the day watching our favourites and eating junk food. It was one of the rare occasions I actually let him eat junk food without a fight.

By the fourth movie I actually remembered to check the time, and realized I was late.

"Shit! I've gotta go dad- I'm late for the pack meeting," I scrambled, slipping my shoes on and grabbing my keys. He just chuckled at my tornado of movement.

"I'll be here when you get back!" He called after me, the amusement clear in his voice.

I broke a few speeding laws as I raced to Derek's loft, bursting through the door with a "I'm here! I'm here!" Which earned me several unsurprised eye rolls.

"Wow- Stiles is late. We're all shocked," Liam winked. I walked by the werewolf, fluffing his hair. He gave me a small scowl as he attempted to fix it.

"You're just lucky I love you puppy," I chuckled, and he gave me a small smile.

I took in the sight of our local pack members scattered around the room. Isaac and Scott were standing near Derek, hanging off of each other. Kira had her feet in Mason's lap, who had his back leaning against Liam on the couch. Allison and Lydia were wrapped around each other on the other end of the sectional. There was another figure, standing a little behind Derek. It took me a moment, and when I saw him, I did a double take.

"Jackson?!" I screeched, barreling towards the werewolf where he stood beside Derek. He smiled his biggest smirk just before I collided with him. His arms came to wrap around me automatically, and I did my best to squeeze the life out of him. "What are you doing here? I thought we weren't going to see you until Christmas!"

"Change of plans," he spoke smoothly against my hair where he had rested his head for a moment. God, I'd missed this big jerk.

"I missed you," I groaned quietly.

I inhaled his scent deeply, smiling to myself at the familiar feeling of being with our pack, together. It was powerful, familial, and calming. A feeling I had been missing out on the last two weeks on the road.

My mood turned somber again as I realized that no matter where I was now, I would be missing someone. The pack when I was in Forks, my mate when I was in Beacon Hills.

I realized I hadn't released the wolf yet, and moved to do so before he pulled me back in a little tighter.

"What's wrong Stilinski?" He murmured quietly. The pack was chatting around us and I sighed. The werewolf nuzzled into my neck, running his nose along the skin there and inhaling my scent.

"I've got some big news," I muttered, both excited and forlorn.

"I heard," he hummed, pulling back to look me in the eye, but not releasing me entirely. "You'll figure it out- you always do," he smiled down at me. I knew he was right and nodded my head.

"He's right! You're Stiles Stilinski," Scott grinned across the room.

"Can someone clue us in?" Liam asked from his place on the couch. Mason and Kira were wearing equally as confused expressions.

"I- well- it's honestly hard to explain... but, essentially I found my mate while we were away," I stumbled. "So did Derek."

"What?!" Mason demanded in disbelief. "Both of you?"

"How? Where?" Kira added in excitement.

"It's sort of a long-ish story..." I trailed off. Usually I'd be eager to tell it, but not this time. I moved across the room to the only empty couch, and both Jackson and Derek followed my actions, leaning their bodies against my sides for comfort.

"I'll tell it!" Scott was happy to take the floor, and both Derek and I let him.

Listening to his point of view on the events of the last week had me smiling and chuckling more than once, as he didn't leave out any details. Derek was scowling the entire time, which wasn't unusual. But the whole pack could see the happiness hidden underneath the show. The pack was listening to Scott with varying expressions of excitement and amazement. I wondered briefly how the room would smell to the werewolves right now. Would they detect the underlying current of Derek and I's pain at being separated from our mates so soon? As Jackson's arm moved around my shoulders, I knew that answered my question.

My phone suddenly dinged in my pocket, and I fished it out quickly, hoping to god the notification was from who I wanted it to be from.

My wolf:
I miss you Mieczy

I let out the breath I had been holding. Reading that text had my chest squeezing painfully and blossoming with warmth at the same time. I could feel the pained smile forming on my face.

Me:
There aren't words for how much I'm missing you right now

I waited anxiously for his reply, and smiled when I saw it.

My wolf:
When can I come see you?

Me:
Is that even a question? Immediately.

My wolf:
Have you told your dad yet?

I scratched the back of my neck nervously as the thing I'd been trying to avoid came to the forefront of my mind again. Damn- even as far away as he was, he still knew what was going on. How did he get to know me and my habits so fast? Maybe this wouldn't be so hard.

Me:
...

My wolf:
I figured as much. Maybe start there and THEN we'll talk about a visit.

Me:
Did I ever tell you I don't like ultimatums?

My wolf:
You didn't... but I knew anyway ;)

I smirked at my phone and held in my chuckles. It faded quickly though, and I knew I had a worried look on my face. Especially when I looked up and found the pack watching me with concern. I rolled my eyes at them and huffed.

"Excuse me. I have to go tell the sheriff his son has found his werewolf husband. Anyone wanna kill me now?" I grumbled, rising unwillingly from my comfortable place between the warm bodies of Jackson and Derek. I could already picture my dads face growing several different shades of white at my news. Nothing I said could prepare him for this.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Scott asked brightly. The knot in my stomach eased a little at the thought of my brother being there with me.

"Yes. That way there will be a witness of my murder," I answered, still heading for the door.

"You got this Stilinski!" Jackson yelled with fake enthusiasm, fist pumping in the air sarcastically. I stuck my tongue out at him before Scott looped his arm through mine and pulled me down the stairs and out of the loft.