Chapter seventy two - Flash Gordon

Start from the beginning

"It's not a... it's not... it's nothing." Quill stammered, clearly embarrassed.

"Like in Footloose, the movie?" Peter frowned.

Quill's face lit up in excitement, "Exactly like Footloose! Is it still the greatest movie in history?"

"It never was." Peter replied. Quill frowned in deep disappointment.

"Hey, don't encourage this, alright?" Tony told Peter, putting an end to the whole Footloose affair.

"Okay." Peter said.

"We're getting no help from Flash Gordon here." Tony sighed, referring to Quill.

"Flash Gordon? By the way, that's a compliment. Don't forget, I'm half human. So that fifty percent of me that's stupid? That's one hundred percent you." Quill argued, pointing at you, Peter and Tony.

"Your math is blowing my mind." Tony said, right as you muttered "Not human."

"You're not human? Makes sense, you have purple eyes." Quill nodded, looking you up and down.

"Excuse me, but... does your friend often do that?" Mantis piped up.

You looked over to her and then followed her gaze to Strange. The minute you saw him you teleported over to him, hesitating to reach out and touch him. He was sitting cross-legged, floating slightly above the ground; the Time stone was glowing tightly in its case on the chain he wore around his neck, green vapour-like energy flowing from it around him. His cloak was flowing behind him as though the stone was creating a strong breeze, yet you felt nothing. His head was jerking rapidly from side to side, blurring before your eyes: he was looking for something.

"Strange, we alright?" Tony asked, arriving at your side. A second later Strange snapped out of his odd trance, pitching forward with a cry. You and Tony grabbed him before he hit the ground and helped him to sit up.

"You're back, you're alright." Tony said, watching him intently.

"Hey, what was that?" Peter asked from behind you.

"I went forward in time to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of the coming conflict." Strange told you, looking as though he'd just been hit over the head with a large hammer. You didn't blame him.

"How many did you see?" you asked.

"Fourteen million six hundred and five." Strange said. Your mouth fell open. Fourteen million?

"How many did we win?" Tony asked quietly. Strange looked up at you solemnly, not replying at first. You heard it in his mind before he spoke, stepping backwards in shock.

"One."

There was a very loud silence.

"What do we do now?" Quill was the first one to speak.

"Wait for Thanos to arrive." Strange said.

Mantis and Drax moved away to talk, and you, Peter, Strange, Tony and Quill stayed sat on the steps of the destroyed plaza in a shocked silence. The planet must once have been really quite beautiful; you wondered what had happened to it for it to get into the state it was in now.

After a very long time of sitting in silence, there came a sound. Peter heard it first, and then you. It was coming from the sky; a low, quiet rumbling sound.

"What is that?" Quill asked, standing up to squint at the sky. You couldn't see anything.

"Thanos." Tony said, making to get to his feet, but Strange shook his head, "No."