31. Bonus Chapter

Aesthetic was made by the lovely chweetcat

_____________________________________

Zain: 50 years
Mahrukh: 43 years
Malika & Faris: 20 years
Arsalan: 18 years

The sun was up high. The winds stood still. Islamabad was a hot mess on this particular eventful day. Rather than the usual bipolar behaviour of it having a sunny sky but cool weather, it had instead turned completely burning hot. Clothes stuck to the bodies that wore them. The sweat irritating. The high humidity of the air making it nearly impossible for anyone to even think about showering more than twice a day.

And yet even in conditions of such terrible weather, there was a hum in the air. It was perhaps the way that the birds flapped their wings, eating the small grains of bread that were thrown around for them by gracious people. Or the running of the domesticated dogs around the street, as the barked loudly, much to the annoyance of a lot of residents.

The bugs all made sounds, adding to the natural opera of nature. The green trees stood tall, not bending even under the crushing heat and humidity of the July monsoon.

The clear blue skies had become a rare sight this past week. As dark grey clouds filled the horizon of the Federal capital. With thunder lightly booming. Rain was awaited but it was all a game of hide and seek at this point.

Around the posh streets of the area that the Butt's resided in, the bleating of goats and moaning of cows and taken over. Letting everything fall into a dull background. Children rushed around the streets. Playing with the animals that their father's bought from the bakra-mandi.

Last night, the noises had reached an all time high. With all the qurbani keh jaanwar dreaming about their sacrifice. It made the hearts of innocent children restless too, as they thought of their newly adopted family members leaving them tomorrow. But their elders told them how these animals would enter heaven and thank them for having chosen them. Making a way for them to get sawab and enter paradise.

"Arsalan beta uth jao. Abu tumhein chor kar eid ki namaz parhne chalein jain gai!" Mahrukh shook her son.
She sighed, feeling guilty at having to wake him up so early in the morning. Her poor son had been working all night, preparing his material for the interview at a university. It had been his dream to enter UCLA. But with the time difference and everything, the interview was early in the morning. And Arsalan had just slept two hours ago.

Her heart clenched at having to wake her soon so early. But what could she do? It was important for him to go and pray. She knew she could talk to Zain about leaving Arsalan just this once, but then Arsalan would start his own tantrums.

"Hmm ammi uth raha hun". He smiled at her.
The lopsided smile made him look like a drunkard. Mahrukh smiled looking at her son. Bending to kiss his forehead.
"Mera shehzada!" Her fingers running through his hair.
Massaging his scalp.
"Hayee ammi karti raahein. Sukoon mil raha hai," he shifted himself, now resting on his head on his mother's lap.
Mahrukh smiled at him. Continuing with her actions for a few more minutes.
"Chalo meri jaan, uth jao. Ap keh kapray nikal diye hain!" She kissed his cheek.