Contraband

The first rain started this early morning, it was refreshing and pleasing for everyone under the shower of the heavenly dose but of course they were all in their rooms enjoying the coolness of the weather.

Teni stayed in bed staring out through the window as the drizzle continues, she inhaled the earthly scent which was prominent due to the rain.

This is her best season in the year. The rainy season, there is something about it that always calm her nerves. Maybe it's the fresh, cool air or the wetness of the rain.

She yawned lazily knowing she will have to get up sooner or later for the sanitation due to it being a Saturday morning. She rubbed her eyes turning away from the window as the rain gradually stops leaving a cool air behind.

She puts her bible beside her pillow, after she finished her personal morning devotion, she  wanted to stare out at the rain but since it has stopped she had no other choice but to get up.

Someone suddenly rings the warning bell, signifying the sanitation has started, she frowned as the bell got incessant instead of stopping like usual.

I turn to look at the girls, they all have different expressions on their faces.

"What is going on?" I asked with outright confusion. Tomi groans before sitting up on her bed.

"That bell is for hostel inspection" she said as both junior girls groaned before jumping down their bunks, they both rushed towards their closet as the mumbled incoherent words.

"Hostel inspection?" I asked sitting up also as Tomi stands still in her pajamas which was in polka dots pattern of black and pink.

"Yes, the matrons, teachers and prefects search the hostel for any incriminating material while other students stays out, you don't have any incriminating material with you, right?" She asked as I shook my head.

"What is going to happen now?" I asked standing up as i put my already loosed hair into a messy bun before tying a thin maroon scarf around it.

"That bell means we have to go out now" she said as I stood up with a frown on my face.

"In the cold?!"

"Grab your coat then" she shrugged.

I groan grabbing my purple silky kimono which was matching my lacey nightie. I went to grab my dark grey over coat putting it on.

We hear footsteps as the head matron ordered everyone to come out. I sigh walking out with others.

We joined the crowd of female students who were already outside as everyone stands in group.

"Amarachi, what is the update?" I asked her as she looks around, am sure she must have heard or seen something.

"It seems there is a case of theft in the school, someone broke in and stole something which I don't know"

"Urrgh! This is ridiculous" Tomi cried out.

I find a place to sit in the big compound with a big frown on my face, this is ridiculous, very ridiculous. Why do they have to search the hostel?

"Hey girls... " we turn to see Iman with a blanket wrap around her.

"Babe... See our life o" I groaned.

"It feels like we are in a prison" Nana Aishat muttered.

"It is a prison my dear... " I clarified as they emptied the whole hostel.

The students murmured greatly as female teachers and female prefects started the search. This is also going on in the male hostel. There is search for stolen items and contraband materials.