Chapter 2 - Nilas

I dreaded the yearly trip to Japan to visit the Blood Claw pack. There always seemed to be something just slightly... off with that pack. The last two years I've had a nagging feeling that I have forgotten about something and my wolf, Caine, grows increasingly restless while we are there.

The only reason for my yearly visits is their Direwolf Dog breeding program. The dogs have proven themselves useful in a variety of tasks such as companions, personal protection, enhancing border patrols, tracking, search and rescue, the list goes on. The dogs can create a special bond between themselves and their chosen person, making the pair an unbeatable team in their different fields. I've been trying to negotiate bringing ten out of fifty of their un-bonded dogs back to my pack, but the Alpha, Yamatomo Asa, has been drawing everything out and making things increasingly difficult.

"Your attention please. We will be landing at the Blood Claw Municipal Airfield in thirty minutes. Please secure any belongings, tray tables, and seat belts. Thank you," the pilot's voice said over the speakers.

"Finally!" Blaine, my Beta said, stretching. "These international flights are too long."

"You were sleeping most of the time," Ivette, my Gamma, griped at him. "Why don't you try staying awake for more than a quarter of the flight before complaining about their length?" I rolled my eyes at their bickering and packed my laptop away.

"Will both of you just stop already? I want to get this trip over and done with as soon as possible," I said.

'No, we're missing something there. I know it,' Caine said.

'We need evidence, Caine. Which, need I remind you; we are sorely lacking?'

'No, but I feel like we've left someone behind. I just can't remember who.'

'I know. Me too.'

The plane landed and I took a couple of minutes to thank the flight crew before stepping out and first meeting my negotiator who will also be acting as my interpreter as well.

"Greetings, Your Majesty," he said with a bow. "I hope your flight went well."

"Hello, Mr. Sato," I said. "The flight was fine, just long. Your last report implied that we were finally close to an agreement, is that still the case?"

"May I speak frankly?" he asked. I gave a nod. "With this Alpha? Who knows anymore. I feel like stabbing one of his eyeballs with a chopstick every time he opens his mouth; and his son isn't much better."

"Hmm, I know the feeling," I said. "When this agreement if finalized, I'm giving you a yearlong vacation."

"Thank you, your majesty," he said.

"Well, I doubt that we can delay much longer. Let's get this done," I say turning and walking down the red carpet that led to the welcome committee. A woman in a gray business suit bowed low and started speaking.

"Welcome King Nilas, Beta Blaine, Gamma Ivette, and honored guard to Blood Claw. We are honored by your visit. I am Alpha Yamatomo's secretary, Tachibana Mika. We have cars ready for you," Sato translated.

"Thank you, Ms. Tachibana," I said. We split ourselves between the two SUV's and headed over to the pack house. Upon arrival we were met by the Alpha, Luna, and their son. I was able to convince the Alpha to start the tour of the kennels and reviewing their breeding program right away. On our way to the kennels, we passed by a small store house when a hint of the most intriguing scent wafted past my nose: cherry blossom and petrichor, but there was something else there... blood? It took every ounce of self-control I had not to start tracking the scent down. Caine started scratching to come forward, but a rustling from the hedges along the side of the store house caught my attention as a large direwolf dog came crawling out. He looked right at me, huffed, then walked off.