四十四

a raspy scream cut through the radiating happiness like a cold knife, silencing the chattering and laughter that had filled the lake. especially with minghao being so close to where junhui had previously been, they assumed it as a silly joke, knowing junhui was rather loud in the company of his friends. but once another scream, one in panic and terror, echoed over the surface of the lake, they all realized something was severely wrong. 

"jun?" another scream pierced through the painful silence, minghao doing everything to get the slightest sign of life from his boyfriend, that still did not show up at the water's surface. "fuck." 

he took a deep breath and ignored junhui's friends calling out his name, disappearing underneath the water like his boyfriend had done and trying to see anything familiar through the turbid substance. even with panic clouding his eyes, making the water even more unclear, minghao desperately dove in deeper to feel or see anything specific that would remind him of junhui. 

but beside the darkness of the lake that had swallowed him and the depth that seemed to endlessly continue, nothing familiar was visible. he hurriedly swam back to surface and gasped for breath, filling his lungs with an enormous amount of oxygen before diving back in again. he couldn't even pay attention to his name being called out repetitive, the only thing on his mind being junhui who had just disappeared in front of his eyes, seeing his attacks were severely getting worse again and minghao assumed it would most likely be his muscles shutting off again. 

the water hugging his body started getting cold and overwhelming the deeper he swam, trying to find any recognition. the slightest shape that resembled junhui's way too familiar body would be just enough in this blinding darkness. yet nothing, absolutely nothing beside his own hands searching the place, was being seen under water. 

until, just when he was about to swim back up to fill his lungs again, his hand touched something oddly warm. the closer he came, the more color he was able to see, shades of skin and even the outline of a shoulder. meaning, it could be none other than junhui. even through the turbid substance of the water, minghao knew exactly who he grabbed a hold of. 

so without thinking twice, he grabbed a steady hold around his chest with both arms and swam back up to the surface as fast as his legs could kick. it took a lot of effort and strength, but the panic however gave him a certain kick of energy that dragged his body back up, knowing that this time it was quite a serious matter between life and death. 

yet even when he could gasp for air, reaching the surface, no movements were sensible in junhui's unconscious body. "somebody, help please!" minghao cried out for help, junhui's weight dragging him down and making him accidentally swallow a large amount of water that had him coughing and going under again. 

the panic that clouded his brain and the weight of junhui inside his arms was getting too much for him alone to bare, especially with how far they had swum into the lake. heck, he didn't even know if they were allowed this far. 

somehow luck seemed to be on his side as the weight got removed from him, a second strong pair of arms wrapping themselves around his shoulders and dragging him near shore. he recognized the person dragging junhui away as mingyu, who seemingly had a lot less difficulties with swimming and carrying junhui along. seungcheol had been the one who helped minghao out of the water, also grabbing a towel once they reached shore and wrapping it around his shoulders as he was visibly trembling. 

"g-guys, what's happening?" chan kneeled down next to junhui as he ran out of the water, tears escaping his eyes as he couldn't understand junhui's sudden attack. 

perhaps it would have been better if junhui had given them more information over the phone, just so they were prepared for what might follow next. especially now he was surrounded by his friends, who had zero knowledge and expectations of what was happening. 

"step aside, i'm giving him resuscitation." seungcheol kneeled down on the other side of junhui, placing his hands midst junhui's fragile ribcage and wanting to put force in it. until minghao hurriedly reached forwards and stopped him in his tracks, receiving scared glances from everyone. 

"w..we can't do anything right now." he had a hard time speaking, being so utterly panicked but still wanting to be of any help. "there's n..nothing we can do.. junhui's body is..is in some sort of shock.. if you p-put pressure on his ribcage now you might kill him.." 

seungcheol instantly backed away from junhui's unconscious body, giving the boy the space he might need. and while everyone waited in anticipation for what was about to happen next, minghao drew in closer, placing junhui's head in his lap and scarcely brushing his fingers through his hair. last time when a situation like this happened at night, it had helped him a lot with waking up calmly too. 

and eventually, his chest started rising up and down again, making junhui turn his head out of a sudden to vomit all the water that had gotten stuck inside his lungs when he had almost drowned unexpectedly. 

"shh, shh it's okay, i'm here." minghao said with a shaky voice, keeping the hair from his face so it wouldn't get caught up in his throat while hastily inhaling in-between every rush of water that flooded from his mouth. 

the scenario was hard to watch for the group of boys that surrounded him, all completely unaware of what was happening and what was burdening junhui in general. never had they expected his condition to be this serious and severe, mostly since junhui had never quite told them anything close regarding his mysterious disease. 

it took a short while before junhui was finally finished, making him lay his head back in minghao's lap as sudden exhaustion flooded his system, completely unable to move the slightest. "am.. am sorry.." he muttered out, slowly tilting his head to see what he had caused this time. 

nine panicked faces looked down on him, including minghao, making him realize that the time had came where he had to tell the full truth. no more lies from now on.