XXVI

"Stop." Josephine heard a voice yell from behind her as she stepped onto the gravel path leading into the gardens, Turning her head to see who was calling.

"Lady Danbury, please pay me no mind! I urge to to enjoy the celebration." Josephine forced a smile weakly onto her face.

"My child you may be able to fool most of the ton with that smile but you will never fool me." Lady Danbury scolded lightly ushering Josephine to take a seat with her on the balcony steps.

"I am but a fool to hide from you, of that I am certain." Josephine sighed as she sat with the woman.

"Josie darling you a merely a fool in love." The older woman smiled down at the girl she watched grow all her life. "You know, on your tenth birthday I took you out on a picnic, your brother and you. It was hot but you two still chased each other silly around the garden." Josephine smiled at the memory of the gardens they occupied, they really were her favourite.

"There you were running as fast as your little legs could carry you away from your brother, who mind doing you was a foot taller. It was a disadvantage you should have considered but still you ran." Lady Danbury grabbed Josephine's hand giving it a tight squeeze as she continued.

"I was sitting on the picnic rug when I heard a shout and a cry, I thought you had run into each other." Josephine laughed at the idea of her and Simon literally knocking heads. "Do you remember what had happened Josie?"

"I ran into a rock. A big one at that and broke my ankle, I was to busy looking to see where Simon was." Josephine laughed at the memory.

"Yes, definitely an avoidable injury, you made a mistake. However your brother seemed to believe that the rock was completely at fault. He proceeded to shout and kick the rock until he too broke two toes on his foot." Lady Danbury was also laughing lightly at this point.

"He was a stubborn boy who believed that his sister could do no wrong. It seems though not a lot has changed." Josephine looked out onto the garden images of young Josephine and Simon flicked through her vision. "He would break every bone in his body if it mean he had protected you, if it meant he had avenged you. He is your brother."

Josephine knew why Simon was so determined for her not to marry Anthony. Hell Josephine knew he was a rake, but a piece of her knew he would throw it all away for her. "He is the best brother anyone could ask for. But as he has made mistakes so have I, and as he has fallen in love I have too. We are not children anymore Lady Danbury, he cannot simply kick love until it goes away." Josephine sighed again looking up at the woman beside her.

"He may not be able to kick it away but I know Simon will try his darnedest." And with that Lady Danbury stood. Not quite the words of wisdom or solution that Josephine was hoping for but perhaps that was the point. They weren't kids anymore, it was her time to make choices for herself.

So she stood took a deep breath and went off in search to find the one person who was about to solve all her issues. Who always solved her issues.

*
*
*
*
*
*

"Simon, a word please?" Josephine was much more blunt when interrupting her brother this time. No manners for those who do not give manners in return.

"Of course." Simon clenched his teeth as he excused himself from those he was speaking with. "Where are we going?"

"To the gardens." Josephine smiled a little as she led Simon out of the room.

"This is my wedding party Josephine can we make it hasty?" Simon grunted as he stepped into the fresh air.

"As it is mine Simon and yet I am here." Daphne popped her head into Simon's view smiling shyly at him.

Simon confused, stepped out on the gravel path, seeing the others standing around. Daphne, Benedict and Anthony made up the Bridgerton family, with Lady Danbury and Henry Granville standing close by.

"What is going on?" Simon felt as though he was about to be ambushed.

Josephine stepped fast Simon grabbing onto Anthony's hand. "I'm staying here, with Anthony. with everyone."

"Josephine we talked about..." Simon began before he was interrupted.

"Uh uh, let the girl speak." Lady Danbury tutted, and then nodded to Josephine for her to go on.

"Henry Granville is opening art classes, and I wish to take them. Will Mondrich wants me to paint him some posters, I wish to do that. Eloise Bridgerton has asked me to teach her how to paint, and I would be honoured to do that." Josephine smiled as she thought about the people he cared for.

"I love you dearly Simon but I must stay here. My life is now here. The short time we've been here and I already have the best of friends!" Josephine giggled as she looked to Benedict.

"I will stay with Lady Danbury, or Henry and his wife when appropriate, I will write weekly to Daphne, and you if you're lucky" she teased, "it will all be very civilised and proper." Josephine placed her case before her brother.

"And Anthony?" Simon asked meeting the Viscounts eyes, with unreadable emotion.

"We will delay marriage, perhaps it was a little premature of us to move so fast, however I have never loved one person more in my entire life, nor have I thought myself capable of such emotion." Josephine smiled fondly as her Viscount.

"I wish nothing more than for you to be safe." Simon stated looking more relaxed.

"She will always be, I swear my life on it." Anthony stepped forward slightly not letting go of Josephine's hand.

"As do I." Benedict agreed.

"And I." Henry also stepped forward.

"And as I have always done, I will watch over and make sure everyone is in line." Lady Danbury said fondly as she turned to Simon.

"Well I feel as though I have no option but to agree. But even if I had the option I would, for I see you have thought this through, and you will be supported." Simon said rather strictly. "Um.. yes sure that sounds like a marvellous plan." Simon stuttered.

"Would you give us a minute?" Josephine asked the others to leave her and her brother alone. She smiled as Anthony squeezed her hand and at the others as they made their way inside.

"I love you." Josephine whispered as she threw herself at her brother. "And I promise that I will be safe and carful, and I will write twice a week if that makes you feel better." Josephine rambled into Simon's shoulder.

"You will do no such thing I will enjoy the peace and quiet away from you." Simon chuckled and he held onto Josephine.
"You are a wonderful woman Josie, and I am honoured to call you my sister." Simon let a tear roll down his cheek as he pulled back to look at her.

"Oh do not make this sad Simon!" Josephine jokingly shouted at Simons arm smiling softly. "It's not as though we will never see each other again, you cannot get rid of me that easy." Josephine giggled. "And beside I rather like Clyvedon! I'll visit." Josephine smiled fondly at her brother.

"Well then shall we go celebrate my Lady?" Simon said in a funny accent holding out his arm for Josephine to take.

"We shall dearest brother, that we shall."

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Ahh ok so she doesn't have to awkwardly sit through Simon and Daphne's honeymoon haha
Imagine.
Anyways sorry for talking so long to update and hope you are all well!

Let me know what you think :)