VII

"Did you truly dance with the Bridgerton girl? Twice?" Will Mondrich laughed as he threw a punch at Simon's abdomen.

"Remind me again why you were the first person I chose to reacquaint myself with
upon my return to town." Simon grunted as he swung but missed Will's jaw.

"Admit it, friend. You missed me. Almost as much as I have missed your firecracker of a sister! Where is Josephine?" Will looked around as he noticed a certain viscount enter.

"Might I have a word?" Anthony pushed as the two men continued to fight in the ring.

Simon knew what this was about. He knew as soon as he made the deal with Benedict that Anthony would have something to say about it. In short, he knew how the eldest Bridgerton felt about his sister. "Have as many as you like, Bridgerton."

"I'd like to know what was going through your head last night and this morning." Anthony questioned stepping up to Simon.

"You have to be more precise. A great deal
goes on in a mind as quick as mine." Simon cockily relied avoiding the elephant in the room.

"Are you courting my sister?" Simons shoulders relaxed as he saw where Anthony's priorities lied.

"Should I not be courting your sister?" Simon hid a smirk at how ironic the situation was.

"No. And I can think of dozens of reasons why, starting with, "She is my sister," and ending with, "She is already engaged to be married," and then perhaps circling back to, "She is my sister."" Anthony exclaimed getting visibly frustrated.

"I could say the same to you!" Simon was getting riled up as he stood before his friend.

"You saw no issue with that when you married her off to my brother did you?" Anthony said bitterly through his teeth.

"Your problem is that Berbrooke is an unworthy suitor for Miss Bridgerton. But your brother is a perfectly honest man, he will be quite the husband for mine." Simon taunted, "unless you should speak ill of him?" The two men were practically breathing on each other as the tension in the room grew.

"You are and have long been a good friend. The best, really. But this is my sister. Think of all that we have shared as friends. It is furthest from my intentions
to offend you, but surely you can understand that family must come before all else!" Anthony yelled as he finally snapped.

"I agree. I will stay far from Daphne if you stay far from Josephine." Simon said matter of factly, knowing full well the Anthony had no intention of staying away from the Duchess. The only way Anthony could stop the marriage of his brother to the woman he was in love with was to be near them.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Simon, Josephine and Lady Danbury stood preparing to attend the nights event.

"Would it pain you to wear some color, Your Grace? The London season is already terribly monotonous as it is. Must your wardrobe do the same?" Landry Danbury frowned at Simon's choice of clothing.

"I was told this look is all the rage." Simon snarked back, maintains his attitude from the days events.

"Certainly not mine" Josephine commented ignoring the scowl she received from Simon.