V

As the events of the evening prior began to settle in, Josephine and Anthony found themselves both awake at an ungodly hour in the morning, not together mind you.

Josephine lay awake in her bed, trying to piece together her emotions. Did she feel anything other than hatred for the man? Perhaps hatred was too strong of a word but Josephine surely could not feel love for the Viscount.

But then again how can one explain the ache she gets in her heart when she hears his name. Or why her cheeks blush red when her brother teases her about him. Surely these feelings have a perfectly understandable explanation, not by any means close to love.

Josephine rolls in her bed to stare out at the gardens beneath her bedroom window. 'Oh to live a live as peaceful and delicate as the flowers that float in the night. To be as strong and sure as the grand oak out in the dark.' Josephine thought as she shut her eyes once more hoping to rest before morning.

*

On the other side of the ton Anthony lay in bed unable to rest. Beside him slept Siena, peaceful and blissfully ignorant to the viscount's lack of sleep. Anthony thought of what Benedict had said, of what his mother had said and he knew that he must do what is right by his family.

He calls himself a gentlemen, a nobleman and yet he courts two woman. So he decided that he must make a decision for better or worse and he settled back into bed enjoying his last hours with his opera singer.

*
*
*
*
*

Be it shame or slander, seduction or smear, there is but one thing that humbles even the most highly-regarded members of our dear ton...a scandal! Well, dear reader, it should see that all of Grosvenor Square has been left to ponder
a rather scandalous question, indeed. Might one former diamond's recent fall from grace turn out to be the most damning scandal of all?

*
*

Benedict Bridgerton escorted Josephine Basset to the refreshments table after they had danced, quite horribly mind you, at the nights event. The two had spent the morning painting in the duchess's garden and now were thoroughly enjoying each others company.

"Ladies and gentlemen, a most extraordinary event is about to take place.
Right this way! Come! Come!" A man called and Josephine joined her brother and Daphne under the awnings.

"It is with great privilege I present Vauxhall's newest spectacle of illumination. Feast your eyes above and allow all that is radiant to overwhelm you!" The three looked up in amazement as the entire garden was set aglow as if many tiny glow worms has found rest in the trees above them.

"Is it not the most bizarre.." Josephine looked in amazement at the lights. She was swiftly drawn away from them as she noticed the presence of Anthony Bridgerton.

"Lord Berbrooke's barony is over 200 years old. His lineage is legitimate. He has had an excellent education, possesses no debts, never hurt an animal or a woman,
and is even a decent shot." Anthony rambled as panic set into Josephine. She frantically looked around for her brother as she knew exactly where this exchange was going.

"You are to marry him." Josephine felt sick for Daphne, the pain in her eyes was unbearable to witness. How on earth could he say those things to his sister.
"I had to find you a husband, Sister. Now, be grateful it is done. It should be just as easy to fall in love with Lord Berbrooke as with anyone else."

Josephine could do nothing as she watched Daphne yell and storm away. The hatred in the woman's eyes were nothing in comparison to the pain behind her brothers as he turned to face Josephine.

"Anthony... I know that was difficult for you. I understand your pain but Nigel? Lord Berbrooke is a foul man. He may be clean on paper but his character is certainly flawed." Josephine tried to comfort the man but she was met with nothing but coldness.

"You will never know my pain Miss Basset. You have no say in my families matters or my decisions." Josephine winced at his bluntness. "I never expect you to understand this decision as you are not a man and will never have to make them. And you certainly have no one to make them for you."

Josephine had known the viscount long enough to know when he was not himself. When he was channeling other angers into one. "Your brother is a rake and will always be one, I am just sorry your father did not teach him well enough to look after his sister." She stood and took his words without a response. She bared his words and pain so that he may feel release. But he continued unaware of the harm he was installing on the woman he loved deeply.

"I am doing what is best for my family, now if you will excuse me I must go, for I know you have no interest in me. You made it abundantly clear with your lack of response last night." The sadness behind his eyes broke Josephine's heart into pieces. She wanted nothing more than to run into his arms, to tell him it would be alright. But she was frozen still, once again stuck speechless.

She watched him walk away as tears began to spill from her face. She turned to search for her brother but he was no where in sight. She looked for Benedict but he too was absent. She was alone, lost and sad as the awful words she had been bestowed with began to sink in.

As Josephine fled the ball she stopped when she saw her brother and Daphne walk in hand in hand. But Simon failed to notice his sisters presence, too swept up in that of Daphne Bridgerton. The one time she needed him more than anything and he was with another.

Perhaps Anthony was right. Simon was a rake and it was all her fathers fault.

*
*
*
*
*

Sad boi hours everybody :(
Don't worry though it can't get any worse right?
The pain will be worth the love I promise!
Thanks for reading x