IV

"She does seem to be someone with access." The Bridgerton family were engaged in a heated debate about Lady Whistledown's identity and the Basset twins found it quite amusing.

"Well, I think it rather obvious that the writer is Lady Danbury." At that Josephine tried not to choke on her drink.

"Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly. She would never bother herself writing them all down." Josephine commented as she smiled at her brother, the two would know from experience.

Josephine returned to her meal blissfully unaware of the two brothers, one next to her and one across, sending knives through each others heads. Knives that could cut the tension between the two.

"You must forgive this rather unruly debate." Violet Bridgerton apologised to the two guests.

"Nonsense. We find it entertaining." Josephine smiled, "It is always enjoyable to be in the company of people other than my brother." Simon shot a smile her way and begun talking to Daphne.

"They would make quite the couple would they not?" Josephine turned in surprise as Eloise commented on the pair. "I mean once they fall in love of course." Josephine found herself glancing over at her brother before turning back to the girl.

"Perhaps, I am inexperienced in the concept of love but I do think they get along quite well." Josephine answered honestly smiling at the girl, but the sweet moment the two shared was interrupted by a scoff from a certain Viscount.
"Do you have something to add Anthony?" Josephine was getting tired of every interaction between her and the eldest Bridgerton being so blunt and aggressive.

"I just find your comments on love amusing my lady, I meant no harm." Anthony glanced at Josephine before going back to his meal.

"Well perhaps if I may be so bold, keep your opinions to yourself and I am certainly not your lady." Anger radiated off Josephine as she tries to keep their quarrel to a minimum. But no such luck as Anthony went on.

"Josie you would know not of love unless it hit you in the face. And even after perhaps you would not have recognised it." Anthony taunted, he knew he was riling the woman up, but it was as if he had a death wish.

"You lost the right to call me Josie when you walked out." Josephine raised her voice, and by now the whole Bridgerton family plus her brother where silently watching the two fight.

"You are the one who left. Josephine, you left me." Anthony looked as though he might pop a blood vessel.

"Perhaps the two of you might like to discuss your differences on the terrace and not at my table!" Violet Bridgerton for the first time in a while raised her voice at the two furthest from her.

Simon started to stand protectively as he watched his best friend and sister storm out of the dinning doors. "Stay Simon the two need to sort out their differences, they have needed to since she arrived." Lady Bridgerton rested her hand on the Dukes arm.

"Lady Bridgerton they have needed to sort out their differences since they first met." Simon Basset knew that if anyone was to rival Anthony Bridgerton in an argument it would be his sister, and his point was proven as screaming continued from outside.

"For once Anthony grow up! You told me to leave. You said you did not want me with you anymore so I left!" Josephine was beginning to tear up as the two continued their argument.

"I could not bare the sight of you with another man! Especially a man who left you once and that you ran back to." Pleading at this point, Anthony turned to look at the woman before him. Truly look at her for the first time in years.
"I loved you too much. So much in fact that it scared me. Bit you were too ignorant to notice or care for that matter. So I let you go."

Josephine was left in awe as Anthony stormed around her and back into the house. Uncertain towards how to address the words spoken or the actions that where taken. She sat on the steps of the Bridgerton terrace and looked out onto the starlit garden as tears ran down her face.

*
*
*
*
*

Anthony's Point of View

Anthony sat in his office staring into nothingness. He immediately regretted his words to the Basset woman as soon as they left his mouth so he ran. He pushed her away like he knew how to. The viscount was drawn out of his thoughts by his mother.

"You were a reasonable mother
until your eldest daughter came of age." He laced his words with his present anger. "This matchmaking scheme you rather transparently concocted with Lady Danbury, it will not work. I cannot think of a worser paring than Daphne and the Duke. Then, perhaps if you where to match me with Miss Basset." Anthony ignored the pang in his chest as he spoke of her.

"I wish to know something, Anthony. Tonight, when you leave this study that you continue to keep at your family home,
are you to return to bachelor lodgings across the square, or shall you drink yourself silly over the woman you say you despise?" Violets harsh words drew Anthony out of his drained state.

"Or will you pay a visit to a certain soprano that you tend to in an apartment that you pay for on the other side of town? Relying on your younger brothers
to one day do the job that you cannot, and  expecting a woman to love you when you sleep with another. You like to speak of responsibility... My dear son!
Of duty? Pray tell, what should you know of it?" And with that Violet Bridgerton left her son in his office, alone with a lot to consider.

*
*
*
*
*

Lots of fighting.
But you gotta build that tension up right? Anyways hope you enjoyed reading :)