XXV

It was Daphne and Simon's day, and Josephine was trying her hardest not to ruin it. But the new couple were set to leave at the end of the day, so she had to tell Simon about her news.

"I'm sorry brother might I have a word." Josephine interrupted Simon as he said his goodbyes to a few noble men. Josie had found it quite peculiar that she had not seen him speak with his wife at any point through the day.

"Of course Josie, here? Or somewhere more private?" Simons brow furrowed as he saw how his sister balanced on each foot looking rather skittish. "Is everything quite alright?" Simon continued to look rather concerned for the girl as she led him down the hall, passing Colin and Marina.

"It's about Anthony." Josephine blurted out, perhaps not the way to begin the conversation.

"What! Has he hurt you? What has he done now?" Simon immediately assumed the worse, and rightfully so, for not even a day ago Josephine was heartbroken over the man. "I swear if he has even breathed the wrong way I will give him a piece of my...."

"We're getting married." Josephine interrupted quickly making sure Simon understood the situation.

"No. You will not." Simon responded bluntly, with not even a moment to think about it.

"Excuse me? On what grounds do you have the right to say that." Josephine was shocked at her brothers response, for it was him who knew the depth of affection shared between her and Anthony.

"I am you brother. It is not in your best interest to marry so close to the death of you late husband. And he may be my best friend but he will be an unworthy husband for my sister." Simon ranted as Josephine was at a loss for words.

"I.....I." Josephine was in awe at how quickly Simons emotions had changed, how quick he was to dismiss this marriage.

"Furthermore..." Simon interrupted. "It will reflect poorly on our family, which is now Daphne's, it is no time to be selfish."

"Selfish?" Josephine whispered. "You think I am being selfish? You have known for years that Anthony and I were in love with each other. You have been nothing but supportive towards me. Nothing but caring our whole life, and yet when I bring you this happy news on, mind you, your wedding day you have the nerve to deny my happiness?" Josephine's voice was calm but lethal, each word injected with pain.

"You're quite right, this is my wedding, now if you will excuse me." Simon left Josephine alone, tears in her eyes, as he had dismissed their conversation as if it where mere small talk.

Josephine felt as though, after all this heartbreak, there was nothing left at all. Nothing beating, not pieces, nothing but empty space. Her brother was her best friend, and he had broken her heart the most.

She took a few moments to herself, collecting her thoughts and burying her emotions, putting on a smile. She would just have to play pretend for a little while longer.

And that she did. She smiled graciously to all those in attendance. Making small talk with guests she had barely spoken with before, spreading lovely wishes for the new couple. Vary few people could see through her forced features, Benedict could see her smile falter a little as she spoke with his mother. Henry Granville noticed her hands clenched nervously around her glass as she stood amongst a group of ladies.

Anthony Bridgerton was blissfully unaware of how broken Josephine was. How false her front was. He was too elated with the prospect of marrying her that he couldn't imagine a reason for there to be any pain.

And Simon Basset used every strength left in his body to not run to her and apologise. To pull her into his embrace. To make sure she was safe. But that's exactly what he was doing from afar. You see it would be quite peculiar for Josephine to stay in London when her only family was leaving. Of course she could stay with Lady Danbury but one would than question her behaviours without a man present and Simon wanted to save their family from the whole ordeal.

Simon had seen his sister go through an incomprehensible amount of heartache over their stay in London and it destroyed him to add to the pain but it was necessary. But denying their marriage so bluntly, Josephine would be devastated but when she had to inevitably leave with Simon and Daphne it would save her then. For she would be moving to Clyvedon with them. She would be better off there anyway. Simon was sure of it.

But his faith and belief faltered every time he watched Anthony sneak a glance at Josie. Every time she would return the look with a pursed smile. His heart would pang with guilt as her sorrowful eyes met his.

"Are you alright?" Daphne interrupted Josephine as she had been looking at Simon. "He hasn't spoken to me all afternoon." Daphne tried to make conversation.

"That sounds awfully better than what he has said to me." Josephine was blunt, not trying to sugar coat it.

"What ever do you mean?" Daphne asked the girl alarmed, having never seen the twins fight before.

Josephine mentally kicked herself for being so harsh, it was all well and good for her to be unhappy around her brother but this was Daphne's day. She was being selfish. "Oh it is just a squabble amongst siblings, do not worry." Josephine whacked on another tight lipped smile.
"I saw him eyeing off the cake over there, perhaps take him a piece." She suggested to Daphne as a peace offering to Simon.

"Thank you Josie. I am so glad you are my sister now. And I am so very glad you decided to move to Clyvedon with us it will be such fun." Daphne's smile faltered again as she was Josephine's face drop. "I'm sorry have I said something wrong? God I am so overwhelmed!" Daphne laughed awkwardly.

"Daphne do not worry so, now take that cake! And if you'll excuse me I'm feeling a little unwell." Josephine rushed out, as she turned to fled from the wedding party and into the gardens.

*
*
*
*
*
*
Well there it is
It was never going to be smooth sailing let's face it. And they haven't really had a chance to talk over the whole Siena situation so we'll see how that goes :)

Let me know what you think!