XXII

Josephine awoke suddenly by whispering in the room. She didn't open her eyes but lifted her head slightly to hear what was being said.

"It's time. Anthony and I are leaving, we will see you when we return." It was Benedict letting Colin know that dawn was approaching. And Josephine was asleep on their couch.

Waiting for Benedict to leave Josephine slowly sat up gaining awareness of where she was. It seemed as though Daphne had the same idea, for as soon as Josephine heard the horses leave, Daphne rushed into the office.

"Josephine! What are you doing here?" Daphne was surprised to see the Dukes very own sister in the office.

"I can to see your brother but it appears he had someone else to see." Josephine sighed as she stood from the seat she had slept on. Colin steadied her as she rose too fast.

"Where have they gone?" Daphne asked to neither Colin or Josephine in particular.

Josephine stayed silent for she wanted to hear Colins excuse for denying his sister that information.

"Tell me where this duel takes place." Daphne pushed further.

"Why would I do that?" Colin responded matching Daphne's defensive stance.

"So that I may prevent it from happening." Daphne argued, earning an annoyed grunt from Colin.

"I'm sorry Josie, but sister Hastings has done you a grave dishonour. Surely you wish to see him pay." Colin was stoic in response, giving Daphne no leeway.

"Not with his life." Daphne responded looking to Josephine. For the first time in a while the two shared a moment. Both mutually agreeing that they did not want the duel to proceed.

"It will not come to that. The duke will remember his honour once he finds himself on the deadly end of a pistol." Colin retaliated.

For the first time in the argument Josephine interrupted. "Anthony is too angry to fire wide, and Simon is too stubborn to yield." She interjected earning a nod from Daphne.

"You did not see them in that gardens Colin!" Daphne agreed.

"No, I did not, and neither did anyone else. You should be happy that no one saw anything." Colin made a valid point, but Josephine was distracted by Daphne looking suddenly quite ill.

Worried Josephine placed her hand on the girls shoulder. "Daphne, you look unwell. Are you quite alright?" Josephine was concerned at the sudden change in attitude.

"Only, someone did see. Cressida Cowper.
Colin, you must tell me. Where have they gone?" Daphne exclaimed. A bomb had officially been dropped changing the urgency of the situation.

"I know. Let's go." Josephine stated rushing out of the office and back to the stables, horses would be the fastest way to stop the duel.

*
*
*
*
*

They three rode fast against the dawn, the poor horses being raced to the ends of the earth. Growing nearer to the duel, Daphne and Josephine began to scream at the men to stop.

Riding faster and faster, drawing nearer and nearer their protest grew apparent to the two parties. But as they grew closer the two woman saw clearly that they may be too late.

"On my god." Josephine whispered as she saw her brother raise his gun directly to the sky, just as he had promised. And with no regret she watched Anthony raise his gun directly at her brothers heart.
The tiny pieces of her heart still left from before shattered into unsalvageable pieces. She though perhaps he would have an excuse to not see her before the duel. But now she knew that he really was with another woman.

The situation became real, as the two woman rode side by side into the middle of the duel. Josephine pulled the reigns back to a halt squeezing her eyes shut to fight the adrenaline when she felt herself fall from her horse.

"Oh, good God." She heard Anthony cry. But her head was pounding and her ears where ringing.

"I am perfectly well, no thanks to you idiots." She vaguely heard Daphne say irritated but began to slip from consciousness when she heard her name mentioned.

"Josephine! Josie listen to me. It's Simon. Josephine.....Jo." She felt her body being lifted slightly onto someone's lap.

She again squeezed her eyes shut, regaining full function of her senses she blinked open her eyes.

"Now is this stupid duel over?" She groaned as she tried to stand up. But she was weak, having just fell from a moving horse and almost fell to the ground.

"Not so fast, Josie you'll faint again." It was Simon who helped her balance as she looked around she saw worried eyes on her.

"I'm fine." Josephine said rather bluntly as she looked to see Anthony who had visibly backed away once she had regained consciousness.

"I require a moment with the duke." Daphne exclaimed.

"Daphne..." Anthony croaked out.

"I require a moment with the duke." Daphne persisted looking between Josephine and Simon. Josephine nodded to her brother that she was fine but he still wasn't sold.

"I'll look after her." Anthony stepped forward eagerly, a show of protection.

"Actually I'd rather you didn't." Josephine snapped turning away from him entirely. Simon still did not let her go as Daphne stood patiently.

Visible hurt appeared on Anthony's face, but as far as Josephine was concerned it was nothing like the pain she felt.

"It's ok. I've got her." Benedict stepped forward taking her hands from Simons and helping her remain steady.

"A word Simon." Daphne reminded the Duke as he turned again to check Josephine was ok. He nodded and followed after Daphne only when Josephine mouthed that she was fine.

"I'm sorry Ben." Josephine whispered to Benedict whose hands she was relying on for her stability.

"Well you haven't gone anywhere. So if anything you didn't run you only lied. Lucky for you I can forgive a liar if it means she'll stay." Benedict smiled as he squeezed Josephine's hands. "You need to speak to him. He hurt you, more than words can describe, but you must talk." Benedict was right, but before Josephine could agree they where interrupted by Anthony.

"We must resume before someone should find us." He shouted to Simon and his sister. Anger. Boiled in Josephine's blood. How could he continue a duel that nearly cost her life? He had almost shot and killed her, or her brother and he could start over again? He wouldn't even look at her after she blew him off.

"There will be no need to resume. The duke and I are to be married." Josephine's face dropped in shock as she looked at her brother.
*
*
*
*
*
*

The Audacity!

Let me know what you think ;)