XV

Time froze as Josephine watched Anthony continuously punch and kick William to the floor. They are were lucky the chatter of the guests and music drowned out the grunts and yells of both men.
Finally just as Josephine thought she might faint her brother pulled Anthony off William.

"Ok that's enough! I trust you had a good reason to attack him Anthony, that's why I let you go on for as long as you did." Simon was stern with his words, like he was speaking to a child who threw a punch in the school playground. "Now Mr Cook I suggest you go and we shall meet tomorrow." William scrambled up throwing one last glance at Josephine as he hastily exited the gathering.

"Now if one of you would be so kind as to fill me in." Josephine looked at her feet, ashamed that she had kept this from her brother for so long.

"Perhaps we should discuss it in the morning." Anthony again spoke up for the woman.

"Actually Bridgerton I have had quite enough of you tonight. Go dance and be merry. I'm taking my sister home." Simon grabbed Josephine's hand and led her through the crowded rooms to the front door.

*
*
*
*
*
These days, the modern young lady must display a miscellany of talents in her quest for a suitor. She must be a witty conversationalist, an accomplished musician, and an expert in the art of the swoon. For managing to faint with nary a petticoat out of place is a most coveted talent indeed. Of course, not everyone has fallen victim to the royal fever sweeping through London Town. Two diamonds in particular seems quite immune...making this author wonder if the crown has lost its luster.

*
*
*
*
*

After a late night of arguing, Josephine finally got her brother to understand her point of view. Why she left William and why she chose not to tell him the situation. Simon still didn't quite agree but Williams behaviour did enrage him so.

The two where woken up simultaneously in the early hours of the morning by their staff, Josephine by her maid Anna.

"It's time to rise Josephine! You are to promenade with the Viscount Bridgerton this morning, alongside your brother and Miss Bridgerton." Anna called over her shoulder as she pushed open the blinds.

"Yes I am! And it is quite the day for it, is it not Anna?" Josephine smiled as she rolled out of bed.

"Stop." Anna said suddenly turning to face the Basset girl. "Who are you? What have you done with Josephine?" Anna poked at Josephine's cheeks. "Are you feeling quite well?"

Josephine rolled her eyes playfully swatting Anna's hand away from her face. "Oh you tease me so, I am quite well thank you." Josephine replied nonchalantly as she threw open her closet doors.

"I do think the green would be a lovely choice for this morning." Anna bustled around Josephine to grab a mirror and chair.

"As do I Anna you have excellent taste." Josephine confirmed as Anna grabbed the dress off the hanger and passed it to Josephine.

"I'm sure the Viscount won't be able to take his eyes off of you!" Anna laughed as Josephine's cheeks blushed pink.

*
*
*
*
*

"What ever do you think they're talking about?" Josephine whispered to Anthony as the pair followed far behind Simon and Daphne. Just out of earshot but close enough to see Daphne throw her head back with laughter.

"I suppose some awful story from Oxford, maybe the one about the headmaster, or the goat? Although the pig one is rather good." Anthony smiled as he glanced at the woman beside him. "Whatever it is, it is good to see them happy."

"It is indeed." Josephine sighed slightly looking out at the water before them.

"So what has happened with William? If you don't mind me asking." Anthony said as he and Josephine strolled ahead.

"We'll I haven't spoken to him since... well you know. But I do suppose I will see with later today." Josephine reflected getting lost in her thoughts.

"You are married too him." Anthony stated as if only now coming to understand the weight of those words.

"I am." Josephine whispered looking to the floor. Just ahead Simon and Daphne stopped, causing the Pari behind to do the same, sitting on a small chair beside the water as they watched their siblings talk.

Josephine felt her legs brush against Anthony's as a shiver was sent through her body. She coughed awkwardly but did not pull away. As the two sat quietly enjoying the peacefulness of each others company, Anthony slipped his hand into Josephine's.

*
*
*
*
*
*

"Is all this time you are spending with Miss Bridgerton leading anywhere?" Josephine looked up from her canvas as Lady Danbury and Simon entered the drawing room.

"Could it not merely be time well spent?" Simon retorted, but Josephine knew it was merely a lie.

"A prolonged courtship is one thing, but now it is very clear to anyone with eyes that Daphne Bridgerton has caught the attention of Prince Friedrich." At this Josephine began to pay attention to the conversation, for she too had noticed the attention of the prince. "If you have designs upon the girl and wish to marry her, then Friedrich can disappear, for all I care, and become a delicious dinner party anecdote. But if you are merely dallying with her, and if she loses her chance of such an extraordinary match, simply because she is too wrapped up in your charms... well, then... she would be a fool,
and I would never forgive you your carelessness."

Josephine could not have said it better herself. "Miss Bridgerton is far from a fool." Simon snapped rather rudely.

"Then you are just being cruel, and we both know I taught you better than that." Josephine turned back to her painting as if she was intruding on their conversation.
"And you Josephine know better than to cosy up with that Bridgerton boy, when you are married." Lady Danbury's words were stern but called for.

"You are quite right." Josephine choked out, hating the feeling of being called out.

Lady Danbury swiftly left the twins alone. "I suppose she is right." Simon said stiffly, "we cannot afford such relations in our current positions." Josephine rose from her stool and approached her brother.

"Yes it is improper and will only end in heartache." Josephine said softly taking her brothers hands.

"Well I am finished here, we shall leave London." Simon looked equally as sad as Josephine as he squeezed her hands. "We will be fine on our own, as we have always been. Say your goodbyes we can leave tonight or tomorrow." And with that Simons hands left Josephine's and she was left alone with her painting and her tears.

*
*
*
*
*
*

A lot of these chapters are unedited and I will be going through and fixing them at some point! Do not be afraid to point out mistakes and I will get back to them

Let me know what you think :)