Chapter 31

The group looks at each other back and forth. Their heart breaks for Lauren. They're going to try their hardest to help her out of this.

"What is going on?" Gail asks.

"Mom, you know I always have to have my makeup in tip top shape. Teala records all of our performances." Lauren says. Nice one.

"It doesn't take four other people to help you do that." Gail says.

"Roni and Nessa were just helping me because we don't have a lot of time. The boys thought the door was locked so they were going to show us the other entrance." Another good one. "I have to go. Coach would kill me if the cheer captain is late." Lauren rushes off. Close call. Gail hurries behind her. Mariah stays inside away from the drizzle with the baby. Lear and Sherry head out to see the last few minutes of Alex's play.

"That couldn't have been a closer call." Nessa sighs.

"I'm not doing this." Kian says.

"Me neither. You guys aren't either. For your own good, you two are not involved anymore." Aaron says.

"But what about Lauren?" Roni asks.

"I feel for her but we can't keep covering. She has to come out sooner or later. It'll make her feel much better. Trust me." Kian says.

"Come on." Alex says and opens the door for them to leave out.

Lauren goes through the halftime show without a hitch. She's use to putting on the fake persona, at least for cheer she is. She really feels like crying. This time after the show ends she puts her jacket on. Her hood fits over her head. It protects the side of her face. She watches the game, waiting to call the next cheer out. The coach calls Alex to the side to tell him another play. He takes of his helmet as he's jogging over. He and Lauren make eye contact. Lauren tries to shake it but her eyes follow his. Scarily she feels under his influence. She blinks it off and shakes her head. She doesn't like that feeling. At all. It feels eerie. She's quickly snapped out of it when there is a call for a defense cheer.

Alex's head has been in the game. That doesn't mean that he doesn't notice Lauren running off the side of the field. He notices everything about her. He never has and never will lose feelings for her. When coach pulled him aside and he locked eyes with Lauren everything stopped. He still didn't look away even after she did. He wants to do badly apologize but he can't. The scared look in her eyes says that she's not ready. His addiction tells him that he isn't. Speaking of his addiction, it's taking a toll on him. He's been thinking about the fact that he did over the amount the was supposed to today. The syringe and container sits in his bag in the locker room. He has two valves of liquid that he injects. Two because he buys them by the pack. Several people on the team use steroids but don't admit it. He gets it from them. When the players went in at halftime, he realized that he didn't have both containers or syringes. He mentally panics, but he'll just run is his room as fast as he can when he gets home. He puts his head back in the game with Lauren and his missing valve on his mind.

Roni still squirms in her seat. Aaron went and got his jacket and a blanket. He wraps her tighter in it. She's not squirming because she's cold, she's squirming because she's nervous. She's a little scared for Lauren. Aaron told her that her Bc involvement is done but she can't help but think about Lauren.

The game wraps up. They won. This means a whole lot of yelling and cheering in the locker room. Alex used to love this, but now that his testosterone is way higher than it should be, he's annoyed by it. He's annoyed by a lot. He manages to sneak out of the locker room after the coach gives his speech of the night. When he comes out, he's given hugs and pats on the back by Sherry and Lear.

"I'm so proud of you." Sherry says.

"You did great. You know that catch you made was amazing." Lear says. They're just happy that they got to see him play. They're glad that he won but if he didn't they would still be overjoyed. No matter how much trouble Alex gives them, they just want to see him succeed. It's awkward between the rest and Alex. He knows where their loyalty lies.

When they get back to the house Alex practically runs to his room. He finds the valve and syringe. He stuffs them in his drawer and covers it. He takes his shower so he can get ready for dinner at Ms. Troung's. He goes back into his room in just a towel. He changes and goes downstairs to wait for his dad. He sees Aaron sitting on the couch. He turns around to go back to his room.

"Come back." Aaron says. Alex rolls her eyes and sits on the couch. "I saw it. I know you have it. You need help."

"Don't say anything." Alex looks dead at Aaron.

"Why shouldn't I? I'm tried for covering for you and this is serious. You hurt Lauren and you're hurting yourself."

"Aaron, I mean it. Shut up about it."

"You don't scare me. I'm just trying to help. I'm tired of being easy you. If you don't tell them in the next two days, I will. You don't have to tell them about Lauren because she's not ready, but the addiction has got to go. You still have chance to get off and still have a shot at college." Aaron says. He promised he wouldn't get in his feelings about it but it's his brother and it's hard not to.

"I told you to shut up!" Alex says. He raises his fist but Aaron catches the punch with his hand.

"You have a problem." Aaron says. Just as Alex is about to respond, Lear comes downstairs. Aaron drops Alex's fist.

"You guys ready to go?" He asks.

"Yeah, let me just grab my charger." Aaron says. Lear walks out. As Alex and Aaron are walking out the door Aaron whispers, "Our deal is still on."