Chapter 19

Roni and Nessa look at each other after the sudden realization.

"This can't be happening" Nessa says. She's pacing now. Her footsteps are so hard and fast that they can burn holes in the floor.

"Relax. You don't even know if you're pregnant. Let's get a test and see." Roni says.

"I am not going in a store and buying a fucking test. Those days are over."

"Oh my god Nessa! How are we supposed to know then." Roni says. She catches herself getting a little upset. She fixes because she knows that it's a stressful situation for Nessa.

"I DON'T KNOW RONI! IM SCARED!" Nessa yells.

"Ok. I'm going to go get you some water and figure out what to do." Roni says. She has to stay calm for Nessa. She remembers that Aaron is at the store getting some things. That was one of his chores this week that he waited to the last minute to do. She picks up the phone and calls him.

"Come on. Pick up, pick up, pick up." She says under her breath. He picks up:

"Hello?"

"Are you still in the store?" Roni asks

"Yeah, wassup?"

"Are you near Kian?" Roni sounds panicked.

"No." Aaron is confused.

"I need you to do me a favor. Can you buy a pregnancy test?"

"Veronica, don't even play around like that." His tone gets serious.

"It's not for me."

"Then who is it for? OH." He says. He can hear Roni facepalm through the phone. "Ok I'm going to go get it."

"Please try and keep it a secret until Kian gets here with Nessa." She says

"I got this. You have no faith in me. I'm going to FaceTime you to make sure I got the right thing." He says. He hangs up and calls.

"Aaron it's not that hard."

"No it's like five kinds. This one says ovulation."

"Don't get that one just get the first one." She says she guides his hand to it through the phone. He picks it up and throws it in the basket and covers it up with other things.

"I'm going to self checkout with this. That was more confusing then buying tampons." He says. Roni shakes her head. She knows he's just trying to diffuse the situation with humor. It's working because she's a little more relaxed. She knows that Nessa does not like joking in serious moments so Roni gathers her laugh and goes back upstairs with the water. Nessa's crying. Roni comforts her and then leaves her to be. That's how Nessa likes it.

  Aaron quickly checks it out. He makes sure it is not on the receipt of the stuff that he brought for chores. His parents gave him money to buy the things and they might check the receipt. He throws it in a bag and make sure that Kian won't find it then heads back to the car.

"Damn, it took you long enough." Kian says.

"Sorry, I had a little holdup." Aaron says. He gives Kian the aux and let's him play his own music. He needs to be in as good of a mood as possible for the news that's coming up.

  They make it to the twins house after dropping off the bags at Lear's house. Aaron's jaw is clenched but he tries not to make it obvious that he's nervous. Kian walks in the house all happy ho lucky. Aaron takes the test and slips it in his pocket. Roni digs in his pocket and finds it.

"Where's Nessa and why aren't you getting ready?" Kian asks.

"About that. You might want to go check on Nessa." Roni says. She can't and won't be the one to break the news. She watches as Kian jogs up the stairs.

"This is not going to go over well is it?" Roni says

"Nope." Aaron responds. He plops down in the couch and gets on his phone. He pats beside him so that Roni will sit next to him. They brace for impact.

  Kian opens the door and sees Nessa crying. He runs to beside her.

"Baby what's wrong?" He asks while robbing her back.

"I- I might be pregnant." She says through tears. Kian's hand stops it's motion. He scoots away from her slightly.

"Say that again." He says. Nessa repeats herself. "Vanessa this is not a joke. If you're pranking me, it's not funny."

"Kian I'm being serious" she says. She wipes her tears. She never seen him like this.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck." He curses over and over and over. He paces slightly. So many emotions are running through his head. He can't believe what he just heard. The words repeat over and over. He might be a dad. He literally just got his life together. What is he thinking? His life is nowhere close together. That's why he's in this situation. He stands their silent for a moment . It seems like forever. His head is spinning and he doesn't know what to do. His thoughts are not aligning straight. He storms out of Nessa's room and slams the door. He runs right out the front one too.

  Nessa didn't take this too well. I don't think anyone would. Imagine being scared and the one person that you need most runs out on you. She goes back to crying but this time she locks herself in the bathroom and cries there. She's slumped against the bathroom wall and floor not knowing what to do.

  Aaron and Roni watch as Kian goes out the door. That's not good. Aaron looks at Roni not knowing what to do. The keys are gone meaning that Kian has the car. That's dangerous and makes it hard to find him. He gets up and goes after Kian. Roni heads upstairs to check on Nessa. She's not in her room but she behind a locked bathroom door. Roni knocks but there's no answer. She can hear Nessa weeping though. Roni tries harder to open the door but it doesn't work. She sits against the wall by the bathroom door and thinks.