Day Two~Part One

"Hey, I think we found us a sucker!" Clove yells, as her, Peeta, Cato, and Marvel pass by me. They choose Marvel to come kill me, but he only hurts his hand.

"Oh, for goodness sake!" Clove gets her first knife and throws it at me. It takes down a twig only.

"Why don't we leave her, let Mother Nature kill her," Peeta suggests. "Besides, she's only twelve. She can't win," the Careers go on with his plan, to leave me here. But why is Peeta with them?

Mother Nature? But I'm not even cut. . .

"Hey." Rue's voice can be heard and she's perched up high in a tree. She hands me her slingshot and acts out shooting something. I look up. A tracker jacker nest. No way, Rue.

"No. Allies, though?" I ask Rue, who smiles as she joins me. I haven't seen a lake since the bloodbath. The Careers aren't there. I grin.

Rue and I finally reach the other side. To the lake, but we must split up, because Marvel and Clove come back out. The chance is gone, and I take it hard, finally noticing how thirsty I've become. I'm so weak now. . . If Clove poked me I'd fall. Rue could of course kill me, no questions asked. I must go back.

"Water!" I run into the wet stuff, but make a huge scene and Clove catches me. She grabs me, and drags me off, covering my mouth with her hands. Finally I'm let go, but I've been trapped. Shortly Rue is carried by Marvel to me and Clove, and deposited in a trap next to me. This is the end.

"Hey, Clove, what'd you get?" Thresh's voice booms loudly just as Clove makes a fist at my face.

"Thresh!" Rue yells. Marvel slits the girl's throat, but Thresh grabs him and snaps his neck, just like that. Clove runs off, not wanting to be killed. I am untrapped, and I run to Rue. She only has a few minutes left.

"Rue. . . I'm so sorry," I say just as Marvel's cannon goes. I can feel Thresh watching me, behind me, but I don't care. For now, it's Rue that's important.

"It's okay. . . Just promise me you'll win." How can I win? I'm a weak twelve-year-old with no knowledge of the Games. Heck, I've only seen one, and that was in the Capitol. But if this is Rue's last minute alive I have to at least try to get in the top five. "I will," I tell her. I can feel Katniss and Prim and Gale watching me, their eyes glued to the screen. My twin sister, who I'd promised I'd come back. But no one in this arena would dare kill themselves for me. . . Except Peeta.

"I will." I repeat, hugging her close to me. "But you have to stay alive. Don't die, Rue. Don't die." But her cannon goes, too. Her eyes are hooked on me, a lifeless gaze on me. Life was once in that little girl. But not anymore.

"Rue! No! Don't die! Please. . . I need you!" But she's gone, unreachable. I don't dare say the proper word for what she is, though. Not now, anyways, not that all of us in this arena will be it in a few days, tops.

"No! Rue! NOOOO!" The Capitol did this to her. To all of us. And I will avenge Rue, along with everyone in the previous Hunger Games, because they don't deserve to. . . die.

"I hate you!" I shout directly at the Capitol, at the Gamemaker's, at Marvel's parents, family, and girlfriend. They all wanted my ally to die. Now it's their turn. Now they're in danger of being killed, by a girl named Rosemary Everdeen. The joke is on them now. And the Districts are the laughers.