The Bloodbath {and day one}

"Must I do this, Cinna?" I ask my stylist, who I just met last week. "Why can't I stay here?"
"You want to be an Avox?" I reconsider the Games. But I don't want to go up to the arena. I want to stay, with Cinna in the Capitol. He pulls out a little circular pin and puts it on my jacket. That was the one Prim had on during the reaping! It must be her token for me! Thank you, Prim.

"Well, bye." I wave to Cinna as the tube makes me go up, to the Cornucopia in the arena. This is it. Doomsday.

The sun shines brightly on our metal plates, and I can only see twenty yards ahead. To my left is Cato from 2, and then the girl from 10 on my left. Peeta, I've no idea where. Lucky Michael is only 3 to my left.

The gong goes when I least expect it, signalling the beginning of the Hunger Games. What do I do? Kill? Grab? Run? Then as Thresh uncovered a sword, a grey duffel appeared. Yes, it was far, but I'm the 5th-fastest, other than the red-hair girl from 5, Michael, Glimmer, and Cato.

I grab it just as Rue does, and she releases because her eye caught on a huge slingshot. Then I run but drive right into Glimmer, the girl from 1. Peeta is there, and kills Glimmer for me. I run full-speed to the woods, avoiding as many tributes as possible. The girl from 8 dies. . . Cato, why? so I have one less ally.

After a couple hours I decide to choose where to sleep. A tree is good. Not too firm, but I'm only sixty three pounds, so if anyone tries to climb up and kill me their weight would kill them.

I count the deaths in the sky. Glimmer. The girl from 4. Boy from 5, both from 6 and 7, the girl from 8, and both from 10. Ten dead. Fourteen alive. I'm one of them.