The Everdeens

It was the day of the reaping of the 74th Hunger Games today. I live alone in District 12 in Panem. I can't wait until I see who's reaped, hopefully a strong 18-year-old merchant girl. They usually win other districts.

I got dressed alone, pulling on a brown dress over my pale white slacks and shirt and do my hair in a low bun. That's all my mom, Marci, and my cousin Lilac could teach me before the Capitol turned them Avox when I was 10. The gory image of them being stabbed in the ribs, blood spurting out, and being carried by hovercraft to the Capitol. Lilac was just 13 then; I don't see any mercy in her death.

Since I was fast I have time to saunter down to the Hob, the district's trading area, and buy myself lunch. I've four coins, just enough to buy a fish stew from Greasy Sae. So I do, and since it's reaping, I keep my coins. Gale Hawthorne, a boy in my school, is sitting next to a girl named Katniss. I've never heard Katniss's last name, although I have a strong feeling it's Catnip.

"Prim? Why are you at the Hob?" Katniss says in a surprised voice. Prim? Who on earth is Prim?
"I'm Rosemary," I tell Katniss. She and Gale exchange glances. "Well Prim doesn't wear retarded dresses," Gale mutters loudly. I stare at him and then walk away, thinking. Was he really trying to offend me?

Without thinking, I bump into another 12-year-old girl. She looks shockingly familiar with me. Same blondish hair, facial features, etc.
"Hi, I'm Prim," the girl says, holding out her hand for me to shake, and tell her my name. I accept, and say casually, "Rosemary." Prim looks scared, I do, too. Today is the reaping. Everyone is scared today.