Unto;Happiness

"Follow me into the woods," Jesse says abruptly as he puts on his dark blue hoodie.  He strides like a double edged sword, slicing open my old wounds.
      Mechanically, I follow him as we cut through the woods. The creek nearby gurgles leisurely in the malefic silence of the night. I fiddle the hem of my denim jacket as my hands get clammy.
     Jesse seems to be in the zone as he hums an early 2000's pop song," Beautiful Soul" which he dearly loves.
     Without warning, he halts and heaves a deep sigh. He looks at me intensely.
     "Erika... this is the part you're supposed to be scared." He counters, grinning devilishly.
    With that, my heart jacknifes as Jesse pins me to the willow tree, his airport blue eyes--telegraphing unholy desires seems to complement my wanton desire to kiss him.
    " You.. have sad eyes,"I muse impulsively, feeling stupid.
"I get that a lot,"He replies, tracing the outline of my jaw as he leans closer to me.
    " But I like it. There's  beauty in sadness." I reply, licking my lips, a low key gesture for him to kiss me and close the gap between our lips.
    A foreboding silence sizzles in the air as the cicadas hum their one note song.
   "Happiness is a big traitor and an asshole. I'd rather be a fan of sadness, at least it won't betray me."He rasps looking at my lips.
  " Then why... am I supposed to be scared? "I drawl, my heart ramming violently with our lips only an inch away.
   "Because..."
The night air zings as our lips finally converge. It feels surreal. I feel like I'm being transported into a dream-like world.
But then, just like what he has said, happiness is a big traitor and an asshole.
    "Moreover, happiness is only an illusion of fools," He counters and the last thing I hear is his disparaging laughter as I feel my limbs slowly disintegrate. I feel woozy as I smell the metallic scent of my blood. I fall into a dead faint in the solid ground.
      Those airport blue eyes  that I love now burn like a furnace from hell.
      I should have known not to trust  happiness.