A Change Of Heart

Chapter Five:

As it always did, the sun streamed in through the window and blinded me as I woke up. I rubbed my eyes and looked down, remembering that Erica was by my side. She was sleeping rather peacefully, but no longer next to me closely like she was before; she was lay with her back towards me and towards the edge of the bed.

I sighed heavily, and within that breath, Erica rolled over with her eyes opening slowly. They looked up at me, blinking repeatedly to remember the night beforehand.

"Hey" she yawned.

I smiled. "Hey"

"Did you sleep okay?" she asked, trying make conversation.

"Very well, thank you" I laughed. She smirked up at me and closed her eyes for a moment, still tired. "If you want to sleep for a while, I can call in and cancel work for you"

She mumbled under her breath. "Yes, please"

I left her to sleep and walked onto the balcony, through the lounge, to make the call. As I dialled the number on the keypad, I looked out into the city and took in some air.

But then I noticed something. Someone.

She was walking across the road in front of the apartment block, looking around for something. I could tell. It was Esme. I couldn't tell what it was she was searching for, but I was curious to know. I ran to the door, unlocking it and ran downstairs- Erica was too dreamt up to notice me leaving.

(Esme)

I wandered through the street, looking for the apartment block. The girl seemed respectful enough but I had to see Caden myself- to know. I got the girl's address from somebody at the bar, now I had to find it.

Then, I heard someone, calling me.

"Esme?" he yelled, running across the street. I spun around to him- Caden. I froze on the spot, planning on what to say as he approached me.

He looked just as nervous as I did. I tried to keep my distance, backing away from him just a little.

"Caden" I said, stuttering for words. "How are you?"

He shrugged. "I'm good" replied. I smiled at the knowledge of him being alright.
"Why are you here?" he continued to ask.

I looked down, and back up at him.

"I need to tell you something, okay?"

His face dropped slightly with concern. "What is it?"

I sighed, trying to conjure up with words in my head.

"Caden. A few weeks ago, in an arcade. I made a wish- a wish to be loved by somebody. That wish came true"

"Wait-" he tried to interrupt.

"Listen. My wish came true. But you need to understand. You were never real" I said, regretfully. "You're just part of some wish I made when I was alone"

He looked at me, confused. "I don't understand"

"You're not real! You won't ever be real!" I yelled to him.

He looked at me, still confused by almost broken by my words.

"But I made a wish again. That you'd forget your love for me. So that you could live your life, freely"

His head was dropped, staring at the floor. I didn't know what to say, or do. "I'm sorry" I mumbled in a teary voice.

He looked at me, with fury and sadness in his eyes. I felt so guilty, in that moment.

"Well it worked. I don't love you anymore, Esme. You got what you wanted and used me while you could" he stammered.

"No, Caden-"

He gritted his teeth. "I'll be out of your perfect life now. I have Erica"

My eyes fell down to look at the ground. Regret corrupted my mind horribly. I heard him step away, walking back towards him new home without a goodbye.

At least he was happier now. He was free. He hasn't trapped in some reality where he was bound to me. He was his own person.

(Caden)

I pushed open the door of the apartment and tried to close it quietly, not to disturb Erica. My head was confused and spinning all over again. I had just been told that I was never a real person, just someone that Esme used to cure her loneliness. My existence had been used selfishly by her, but I wasn't going to let it happen again.

I was going to forget about her, and move on. Erica was my chance of a purposeful life; to be able to see what love really was.

I walked through to the lounge, then froze. Erica was awake, and she was staring out towards the glass doors of the balcony. I had to be right in thinking she had seen me talking to Esme.

She turned around and looked at me, expressionless. Yet, she almost looked disappointed in me.

"Erica.." I said.

"What did she say to you?" she asked, unusually calm.

I gulped a little. "She told me everything"

"Everything" she repeated.

I nodded. "Who I am. Why I was attached to her. But I can promise you now. We won't have to see her again"

"How do we know?" she questioned, raising her voice.

I shook my head. "I don't want to see her again. I'm removing her from my mind. I have to"

She looked at me for a moment, with a swelling anger in her eyes. Then, she nodded to agree with me. She understood everything too.

She understood me.

Hey! Another short chapter, I promise to make the next one longer! I also need to sit down and plan the next few chapters out so I apologize in advance if my updates are slow :) And ty for my new followers!