Nightmares

Song mentioned in this chapter: Let the Wind Tell You

You were running through a falling building. Spiders crawled everywhere and it felt like the walls were caving in on you. You felt lost as if you knew your family and friends would never come and save you from this crumbling hell. It was dark, the only light was at the end of the hall of the building. Making a leap for it, you found yourself in someone's arms. Looking up, you saw it was Xiao. You were so relieved to see his face. You wanted to tell him how happy you were that he was by your side, but before you could, you saw his face. It contorted into a monster and it chased after you. The monster devoured everything and anything in its way. You ran and ran until you felt like you were trapped in an endless loop...

. . .

You awoke from a terrifying nightmare. Face drenched in sweat and breathing fast, you turned over to see Xiao's figure huddled on his blow-up mattress. You didn't want to wake him, but you didn't have to. As if he sensed your nightmare, the Adeptus turned over and stared at you. Then, getting out of his own covers, he slipped into yours.

"X-Xiao?" You were tired, scared, and sleepy. Your eyes would droop, but every time you had closed them, the nightmare came back. Shivering at the terrifying display, you shifted closer to Xiao. You felt his arms snake around your body and pull you closer to him.

"I'm here." The male whispered into your hair.

"I'm scared, Xiao."

"I know and I'll be here. Don't worry, (Y/N). I won't let anything happen to you." Xiao pulled you closer to him as he rested his chin on top of your head. It took a minute of silence before you heard a familiar melody. Xiao's hums made soft vibrations on your head and you let out a small giggle. He hummed for a while until you joined along.

"Are you feeling better?" You still had your head buried into the sweater. Honestly, you didn't want to leave this position. You wanted to spend the rest of your days in this position. It scared you to no extent knowing that at the end of this month, Xiao would no longer be here.

"Can we stay like this?" Whispering into the fabric, you clutched it tighter as if Xiao would disappear right then and there.

"Of course." The two of you had laid in silence until Xiao started to sing the song you showed him earlier today. You started to calm down as his voice rang through your ears. Xiao's voice made the song sound like a lullaby. Slowly, you allowed the Adeptus to drive away your fears and fall back asleep.

. . .

Xiao had finished the song when he felt your soft breathing. The male didn't understand what love really was. He'd only heard of them from travellers at the inn. There were many types of love, but he knew what happened when he had first laid eyes on you. Love at first sight.

The young Adeptus didn't want to lose you. He dreaded the day he would be forced to return to Teyvat. There was no telling when he would return to your world again. When he thought about the smiles you gave him, Xiao smiled back. In his world, he was shrouded in misery and suffering from eons of slaughter. It was you who had given him a glimmer of hope. It was you who became the light in his dark world.

When you stirred in your sleep, Xiao started to hum again. This time, it was more to reassure himself that everything would work out in the end. The Adeptus felt a twist of pain in his heart at the thought of leaving you or seeing you in pain. He hated it. You had shown him nothing but kindness since he arrived and he was grateful for that.

The young Adeptus stayed like this for a while. He was awake with the thoughts of you running through his head. It wasn't until he felt you shift when Xiao had broken out of his thoughts. You groaned as you opened your eyes and peered at his face. At first, your eyes were filled with confusion and shock. As you slowly started to remember what had happened, you saw the slight dark circles under the male's eyes.

"Are you okay, Xiao?" Gently, you ran your thumb against the skin under his eyes. The Adeptus had only stared at you with soft eyes. You looked like you still needed sleep, but you were a lot calmer now.

"I'm fine. Go back to sleep. You need it." The male whispered, still aware of your sleeping parents.

"Come here." You stuck out your arms to him. There was no way you were going to sleep soundly when the person who had just comforted you wasn't. He accepted your embrace and you held his head close to you. Slowly, you hummed the song Xiao sang for you and rested your head on his soft hair. His arms snaked around your waist and he snuggled in closer, breathing in your scent. The Adeptus would never forget it. He didn't want to forget it. Steadily, he fell asleep in your arms. After a while, you grew tired of stroking Xiao's fluffy hair and drifted to sleep yourself.

So, recently my friend had sent me this song and I've been IN LOVE with it ever since. I don't know a lot of Mandarin so I had to turn on subtitles to read the translation. I think this song is something I could listen to for DAYS and not get tired of it. This is a reminder that life sometimes sucks, but be known that there are people who are there for you! There will be good and bad days! You'll just have to grind through the bad days and wait for the good days! Fun fact if you guy's didn't already know or read the comments in the song: It was sung by their original voice actors! (Chinese VA's which I'm using in-game, but IMO the Japanese VA for Xiao is the hottest, not cuz he voiced a lot of characters I know :) ) Does someone want to do my homework for me so I can keep writing? Anyways, thank you SO MUCH for all your suggestions I'll try to incorporate everything! Remember to take care of yourselves! Take some time to let go of the past and focus on the present because there is no telling what tomorrow may bring! Have a great morning/day/afternoon/evening/night!!

EDIT: I forgot to post this here on Wattpad even when I posted it on Quotev. I'm so sorry!!