Part II: Chapter 1

༻✺༺

༻✺༺

Chapter 1 | ❝ Why would she be mad at you? ❞

Sunday, November 11th, 2018 - 3:50 p.m.

WE ARE NOW inviting passengers with small children or any passengers requiring special assistance to begin boarding Flight 2301 at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready at the gate. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes. Thank you," the monotone voice over the airport intercom announced.

The West family, who was currently sitting in a few cramped chairs with whatever baggage they had not checked beforehand, looked towards the boarding gates of their flight in regards to the new information given to them. Hayleigh had insisted on bringing her small bag full of her belongings on the plane with her since she did not want to risk any of her stuffed animals becoming frightened in the cargo hold.

"Flight 2301—that's us!" Mr. West exclaimed while double checking his ticket.

His wife seemed to be just as enthusiastic as the middle-aged man. "Alright. Let's go before we get trampled over!"

Since the Wests had both a passenger who required special assistance and a small child who was rather hyper, they easily qualified for the early boarding opportunity. In fact, Hayleigh by herself would have been enough to take advantage of it.

"We aren't going to get trampled over," Zach laughed almost to himself.

His mother turned to look at him teasingly. "We will if you keep sitting there and letting your sister play that guessing game with you over and over again," she joked. "You two can play on the plane for the hour-long flight."

"It's an hour?!" Hayleigh wailed louder than she meant to.

Needless to say, the entire airport looked her way and the little girl blushed out of embarrassment. She cautiously went to hide behind her mother until the waiting area went back to their conversations and preparations for their own flights.

Mr. West nodded. "Yes, Hayleigh, it's an hour, but that's actually a short flight."

"But that seems like forever!"

"You know what, Hayleigh?" Mrs. West asked her daughter metaphorically. "How about when we get there and check in to the hotel, we go out and have a nice dinner. Does that sound good?"

Hayleigh began bouncing up and down on the airport floor. "Yes, please!"

"Does that sound good to you, Zach?" the mother inquired to include her son as well.

Zach's nonexistent field of vision rose from the floor and to his mother, who was looking at him expectantly. "Oh, uh, yeah," he replied, being caught off guard. "That sounds good to me."