Chapter 2: Why do you care?

Stiles' pov

I decided that I wanted to meet up with Malia, my girlfriend.  Lately, me and Malia have been really disconnected.  I would go to see her or she would come see me and we really wouldn't talk.  I wouldn't say that it was uncomfortable, but the small talk was kinda weird.  I have a feeling that she doesn't want to see me anymore but doesn't know how to tell me, so I think I'm going to bring it up and see where the conversation goes.

"Hey Malia." I smiled and gave her a hug.  "Hey Stiles. What are you doing here?" She honestly did look confused and a little worried.  "Yeah, um, I wanted to talk to you about something." Even though I am not a werewolf or coyote I could practically smell the nervousness coming off of her.

"So this is probably not the best way to start this conversation, but do you not want to be with me anymore?" From that question, I saw a whole range of emotions from surprised and shock, to sad and concerned.  "Um... I... I'm sorry.  I know I should have told you sooner but I didn't want to ruin our friendship, you were my first best friend."  I was honestly surprised, she was worried about my feeling instead of what made her happy.

"It's okay.  I know how you feel, I knew we were better as friends but I didn't know how to tell you."  I pulled her into a hug and we stayed in that embrace for a little while.  After Malia and I talked for a little, everything between us was fine and then I left to go home.

"Hey Stiles.  I'm in the kitchen."  My dad is home.  I'm actually surprised, he normally isn't home till late or after I am already asleep.  "Hey dad.  Why are you home so early?"  "Oh, no reason.  Today was a slow day.  Anyway, how was your day?"  "It was good.  I was tired all day, but I managed."  I probably shouldn't have said anything, he worries about me a lot. "Come on son, what happen to going to bed earlier?  If you go to sleep earlier you might not sleep so bad."  To be honest I had been going to bed late, so it is worth a try.  "Yeah, yeah.  I will, goodnight."

Derek pov

"Are you going to the school again?  Why do you care so much about those boys?  Especially, that Stiles kid, what is with you two?"  The last part kept going through my head.  Why do I care so much?  What has that sarcastic, annoying, boy ever done to make me care more? 

I need to clear my head.  I change my clothes and get my shoes on for a run.

For some reason during my run I ended up in town. "*panting*"  Where is that coming from?  I start running over to where the sound is coming from and ended up in front of Stiles' house.  The lights don't seem to be on, so I jump up to his window to see what's wrong.

He was wrapped up in his blanket and it sounded like he was hyperventilating. So I open the widow and go into his room.  "Stiles!  Stiles!  Wake up!"  He wasn't waking up so I started shaking him and he jumped up.  I saw tears in his eyes and I started worrying again.

"Stiles, are you okay?"  "Yeah, I'm fine. Why are you here?"  "I was on a run and I thought you were in trouble."  He seemed bothered by my answer but what else would I say?  "Why do you care?  You've never seemed to care about me before."  "I don't know." I didn't want to sound mean but I didn't want to lie.

"Yeah okay.  You can leave now."  That was rude.  "What is your problem?  I woke you up from a night terror and all you say is 'You can leave now."  I am irritated, I didn't have to come in here but I did so the least he could do was acknowledge that.  "What do you want me to say, thank you?"  "No. But I want you to acknowledge that I could have let you stay in that dream!"  I didn't mean to yell but sometimes he just makes me mad. 

"Okay, you are right.  Thank you Derek for waking me up."  He seemed sincere but tired, I don't blame him, it is late.  "Derek, how did you know I was in trouble?"  Why did he have to ask that?  How am I supposed to know?  "I don't know, I happened to be on a run this way and heard your breathing.  I guess I am tuned to you because I've been around you a lot."  I feel like it sounded weird to say, but that was probably the reason.  "Oh, okay.  I guess that makes sense.  And Derek,...... Thank you, really."  I got a weird feeling that was coming off of him.  I couldn't tell what he was thinking but I felt like I was making him uncomfortable.  "Hey I am going to leave, if you need anything just call or go to my loft. Bye."  "Bye-" Stiles said before I jumped out the window to run back home.

Stiles' pov

When I realized that Derek was the one who woke me up I was so embarrassed, I did not want him to see me like that.  But I was also relieved because for some reason out of all the people, he makes me feel safe.  I'm not even sure if me and Derek are friends, but ever since I first met him, we have had a friend-hate relationship.  I like working with Derek because I think he is cool, but for some reason something has changed.  I don't know if it is me that has changed or him but something I feel towards him is different.

I fall back to sleep and slept peacefully for the rest of the night.