Chapter 17: The Truth

The Truth

~~~

"Rogers, Steven," the voice on the computer starts saying as the camera lands on him, "Born 1918."

I then watch as the camera moves towards Natasha. "Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born 1984," the computer says and I can tell she is shocked that it knows her name.

Then the camera moves to me. "Devin, Evalina Nikolaevich. Born 1983," the computer says and I look at it with some anger.

"It's some kind of recording," Natasha says not believing that this is real.

"I am not a recording, Fraeulin," the computer replies and I look at it with wide eyes, "I may not be the man I was when the Captain took me prisoner in 1945. But I am."

A picture of a man then appears on the other screen. "You know this thing?" Natasha asks Steve.

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull. He's been dead for years," Steve tells us as he walks around.

"First correction, I am Swiss," the man on the screen says, "Second, look around you. I have never been more alive. In 1972, I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body. My mind, however, that was worth saving."

"You sure about that?" I mumble to myself as I look around the room.

"On 200,000 feet of databanks. You are standing in my brain," Zola tells us.

"How did you get here?" Steve asks.

"Invited," Zola replies.

"It was Operation Paperclip after World War II," Natasha tells us, "S.H.I.E.L.D. recruited German scientists with strategic value."

"They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own," Zola says.

"HYDRA died with the Red Skull," Steve says sternly.

"Cut off one head," Zola says making the HYDRA symbol appear on the screen, "Two more take its place."

Then two faces of Zola appear. "Prove it," I tell the computer.

"Accessing archive," Zola says as a video appears on a different screen making, Steve, Natasha, and I look at it.

"HYRDA was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. What we did not realize was that if you try to take that freedom, they resist," Zola say when a video of Steve the shows, "The war taught us much. Humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly. After the war, S.H.I.E.L.D. was founded and I was recruited. The new HYDRA grew. A beautiful parasite inside S.H.I.E.L.D. For seventy years, HYDRA has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war, and when history did not cooperate, history was changed."