"Everyone have enough water?" Tamahome questioned.

"Yeah," Sanchi answered. It was a good thing Temari convinced them to fill their gourds before they left the Academy.

"Is there an oasis anywhere, Sanchi?" Azmaria asked.

They hadn't trained in the canyon in years, and if anyone could remember terrains it was him. "There was one, but the question is if it's still there or not. Then we have to question the fact that someone may be guarding it. Another team that was dropped off nearby or those part of the exam who were added as an extra challenge."

"How far?"

"Three miles."

"Hopefully we can take out someone with a scroll before then..." Tamahome mused. "Let's start setting up traps."

The three lay in wait for two hours inside the confines of a cave bear the drop off point to keep out of the hot sun. The heat grew worse as the day wore on. Even in the shade the three sweat. "Looks like it's nearing midday," the raven-haired teammate said. Based on the sun's position.

"Those who know nothing of the desert heat will still be out walking around, exhausted and desperate for water," Sanchi pointed out. "They'll be experiencing a heat stroke soon."

The males looked over at their partner. "You've been really quiet."

"We're not alone anymore," she pointed out.

Their guards raised at this information. "Who's out there?"

"They're hiding, but not well enough. Thirty feet away on the opposite cliff, behind the boulders."

"So how do we want to go about this?" Sanchi asked. "Let them attack us, wait till they fall into a trap, or should we be the first to make a move?"

The ninjas were about to toss ideas back and forth when the area began to tremble. Pieces of small rocks from the ceiling bounced off their heads and shoulders. "Get out now!" Tamahome yelled. The three scrambled to their feet.

When they neared the exit, Azmaria warned, "Watch out for any traps!"

"Of all the ninjas left why did we get stuck with those from the Land of Earth?" the auburn-haired teen yelled in annoyance.

The three cleared the outer wall seconds before it collapsed. But they couldn't breathe easier. A barrage of rocks rained down on their position before Tamahome performed a jutsu to kick the element back at their opponents. The canyon stilled, the two sides glaring at one another. No words were said. All hell broke loose. The Sand Ninjas' maneuvered through the attacks, but found it difficult to get close enough for hand-to-hand combat. A few times the Earth Ninjas tried to bury them. Azmaria growled and sliced through a large rock hurling towards her. Two fingers pressed together and pointed at the enemy. "Lightning Shot Jutsu!" The counterattack made a collect of rocks explode into a thousand pieces.

As the battle raged on, jutsus flew in every direction. Tamahome half expected another team to show up due to the noise. None of the Sand Ninjas were holding back. And this terrified the Earth Ninjas. They clearly underestimated their opponents and bit off more than they could chew. Nothing they threw at the team fazed Azmaria, Tamahome, or Sanchi, who eventually pushed pass their defenses and threw the group down into the canyon. Exposed. Their advantage was gone. The three tried to run and count their losses. However, when the boys went to retreat their feet became stuck.

"Huh, looks like your trap was the one they decided to walk in," Sanchi relayed. The three scrolled up to the edge of the pit. "And I was so hoping my swarm could've had a shot at them."