"Thanks"

"On one condition." I raise my eyebrows at her. What could she possibly want? It's not like I've deprived her of anything.

"What's that?" I ask, really curious.

"That you go on a date with Zach, just you two." I furrow my eyebrows. What?

The confusion is obvious on my face, so she rolls her eyes and explains.

"I know you have to drag me everywhere, even to work, and I know you don't like it, so I think you should have at least one night with Zach. I can see this has all been stressful, and I can stay home one time. I'll be fine. I'm not a kid anymore." She says sincerely. I suppress the urge to narrow my eyes because I'm not sure if she's just saying that or she really wants to be nice. I'm hoping for the latter, because that means I'm progressing with her. Although if it's not a genuine gesture, what's her motive?

Ok, Emma, she's not a mass murderer, she's a 13 year old girl.

"Well see." I say with a smile that she returns. Score! We walk in to the main room where Margaret is just beaming as always. I take a deep breath, here we go.

"Emma! Oh, I'm so happy for you." She says, about to give me a hug, but stops herself short a little.

"What's wrong?" I frown. Since when does she care about personal space?

"Well, you're my boss now, wouldn't hugging you be inappropriate for work?" She ponders. I roll my eyes. This is so not starting.

"Don't be silly! I'm still me, just now on the payroll. Come here." I laugh. She gives me a hug.

"Here's your new badge and a visitor pass for.." she looks at Maia. Oh, right, nobody knows her.

"Oh, this is Mai...Mave. Mave, my, uh, cousin. She's staying with me for the summer." She started giving me the death glare when I realized she wants to be called "Mave" now. Hey, I remembered, eventually.

"Oh, hi dear. Nice to meet you. Oh and Emma?" She asks as I put the lanyard around my neck and look at the temporary badge. I'm gonna need my picture taken to get the official ID.

"Yeah?" I say, suddenly extremely nervous. My heart is pounding but I try to keep my cool in front of everyone. They're gonna see whether I can do this, and I want to show them I can. I wonder if Zach felt this immense pressure, maybe that's part of the reason why he's happier at EcoTech. Did I make the right decision? I shudder and try to push away the thought.

"Ok?" She asks. I nod.

"I just wanted to hand you your schedule, phone calls, took the liberty of getting you coffee, a list of possible assistants you might want to hire. and... Will wants to see you in your office." She says carefully and slowly so that I get it. I smile, she's on my side, but I don't need babying.

"Thank you Margaret." I say while getting the multitude of things and walk off, checking to make sure Maia is with me. She's silent the whole elevator ride to my office. My new office.

Geez, I've been here so many times but now it's mine. I've seen it when my father was here, Zach's father, Zach, Will... now me. Will I outlive their legacy here?

I wish I was alone, just because it's an emotional moment for me. Being here. It would be different if it was any other company, but it's not.

"Emma is there a vending machine around here?" I blink back into the real world and glance at her.

"In the lounge." I say.

"Can I go get something then come back?" I purse my lips.. I don't know. I don't really want to worry about too many things today.