jirose in their element

"Hey."

Chaeyoung jumps from where she's standing at the floating lake house, hand automatically going to her heart in surprise. A chuckle she knows all too well echoes in the empty space between.

"Jimin, you fucker," she snaps at him. He laughs even more and moves to stand next to her. "What are you doing here?"

"I just like being here." Jimin shrugs. Chaeyoung notes the little distance between them. "If you don't want me to be here, then I think you should leave."

Appalled, she raises a brow. "Excuse me? I came here first, why would I leave?"

"It's my dad's birthday." Jimin sees the tips of her ears turning red that he pinches her arm. "Oh my god, you're so easy to rile up. No wonder you were up my ass all these years."

"Argh, shut up, Min."

The sound of Taehyung's voice rings throughout the main house, followed by cheers and yells. Right, the party's still on, but she's already feeling exhausted from all the decorating they did during the day.

"Hey," he mumbles again, and Chaeyoung mutters a low what. "Congratulations on the party, by the way. Everything's beautiful. My dad said he likes it so much."

Her chest puffs out in pride. "Of course he does. My taste is impeccable."

"Wow, someone read the dictionary today."

"Seriously, if you're here just to annoy me then leave." She gives him a glare and instead of getting intimidated, the little shit only ruffles her hair. "Jimin, what the hell!"

"Jesus, can you not let your breath hit my face? I know it smells bad and all but don't spread it around!"

She places her champagne flute at the railing in defeat. "Okay, that's it, I'm leaving."

(Chaeyoung isn't really leaving, though.)

This time, Jimin buys it. "Wait, no, no, I still have something to ask you!"

Her dramatic ass frowns, and crosses her arms. "What is it?"

And then Jimin, without any hesitation at all, fucking walks over and looks her in the eye. Chaeyoung feels frozen in place as he holds her gaze, heart beating erratically in her chest.

"Will you go out with me?"

The champagne that found its way in her stomach suddenly churns. "What?"

"Go out with me, as in, eat lunch or dinner or anything with me." For the first time in her life, Jimin looked lost. "As a thank you, of course, for everything you've helped me with this party."

She looks at him, really looks at him, and finds herself enjoying the slight pink tint on his cheeks and his chubby fingers drumming nervously at his side.

Of course, Chaeyoung couldn't say no.