Chapter 6: Grom

-a day after Wing It Like Witches-

Amity walked by Hooty and waved at Luz, who jumped up from the couch to help her friend. She hobbled over, still not quite used to the crutch beside her, and collapsed onto the couch. She was already blushing, something that had been happening much more frequently since their dance, but the question Luz asked made her do so even harder.

"Do you want to see if there's a Grom episode of the show? I'm pretty sure there was."

"Yeah!" Amity responded with a bit too much enthusiasm, but Luz didn't notice.

Luz started tapping at her phone and, sure enough, there was an episode on Grom. Amity was eager to watch their dance again; it had felt amazing and she was sure it would look just as cool. Luz was an incredible dancer.

As the two girls began to watch, Amity found her thoughts drifting back to Luz. She had been doing this much more frequently over the past few weeks than she would like to admit. She heard the theme song begin to play, stopping to look at the cute expression on Luz's face just before the cartoon girl realized she was falling. Whether in animated form or in real life, Amity found Luz adorable. She turned to look at her crush beside her, humming quietly along with the music, and felt the sudden urge to kiss her. Stop it! She thought to herself, feeling heat rise in her cheeks. She only sees you as a friend, she said as much at Grom.

Amity watched as her slightly younger self explained the tradition of fighting Grometheus, only now realizing just how much more flustered she had become around Luz since then. It was a miracle the human hadn't noticed yet, she would have to work on keeping that under control.

"You wanna hear my worst nightmare?" The two girls giggled as the view cut to Hooty's writhing body sticking through the stained glass window.

"Heh, I guess that was too graphic for TV," Amity chuckled.

"I still have the scars, hoot hoot," shouted Hooty, before Luz shoved his face back out the door and slammed it shut.

"Hey, thanks again for taking my place at Grom, although I really should have just done it myself."

"No problem!" Luz's smile faded a bit. "Though I couldn't actually face my mom in the end. Plus you still had to go through your fear and then help me defeat Grom."

"Well, I couldn't have done it without you. And at least Grom didn't actually show y... never mind."

Luz looked confused, but what was happening on screen diverted her attention.

"Hey, look! We're about to dance! That was really fun, we should do it again some time!"

Amity couldn't contain herself, her crush asking her to dance with her, the cute expression on her face, the dancing scene itself actually starting to play in the background. She turned a deep crimson and lay down quickly in an attempt to prevent herself from passing out.

"Amity! Are you okay? You look really red all of the sudden!"

"Y-yeah, I'm fine..."

"It doesn't look like it." Luz lowered her face towards the witch's, making her face grow even warmer. "Wait, Amity? Are you..."

Amity shut her eyes tightly, preparing for the worst. There was no way Luz wouldn't ask if she had a crush on her, it was way too obvious. She couldn't just run away this time to hide her blushing face. She-

"...sick? I bet you have a cold!"

Amity was absolutely dumbfounded. How is she this oblivious? But she wasn't planning on correcting her any time soon.

"Here, let me carry you to my room so you can lie down," Luz suggested.

"O-okay..." was all Amity could reply with in her flustered state. Not again! she thought, though she was secretly overjoyed. She loved the feeling of being in Luz's arms, whether it was a tight squeeze, apparently a thing humans call a hug, or being picked up like she was now. Luz wasn't particularly muscular, but her embrace was quite comforting. All too soon Amity felt herself being gently laid down on a small cushy mat. She doesn't even have a proper mattress to sleep on?

"This is all that I have, I hope it's comfortable enough," Luz said apologetically, as if reading her mind.

"No, no, it's fine. Thank you, Luz."

"Sure thing! Now, I think I'll go make you some chicken noodle soup, that should make you feel better!" Luz exclaimed, hurrying off to the kitchen.

"Now, which of these is closest to chicken?" Amity heard her mumble faintly over the sound of cabinets opening.

Amity sighed contentedly. She was thrilled that Luz seemed to care so much about her, even if it was just as a friend. She knew that after Grom she couldn't tell Luz how she felt, but that was fine, right?

A/n: Ha ha, you totally thought Luz was going to finally see the note, didn't you! Oh well, there's always the next chapter...