Chapter seventy - Saving Strange

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. Now he wants to run. Great plan." Tony said. You sighed, knowing where this was headed.

"No, I want to protect the stone." Strange replied, gesturing to the Time stone, which was still mercifully around his neck.

"And I want you to thank me now. Go ahead, I'm listening." Tony snapped. You opened your mouth to intervene but Tony pointed at you and glared, "Don't get involved."

"Thank you for what? Nearly blasting me into space?" Strange scoffed as Tony walked past him to look out of the front window of the ship which encompassed the entire front wall.

"Who just saved your magical ass? Me." Tony stated.

"I seriously don't know how you fit your head into that helmet."

"Admit it. You should have ducked out when I told you to. I tried to bench you. You refused." Tony retorted.

"What, you think you'd be better off if you were up here on your own?" you scorned, unable to stay out of it. He was being irrational.

"I thought I told you not to get involved." Tony said to you heatedly.

"I am involved. I'm here, we all are." you told him. He seemed to soften slightly as he looked at you and Peter.

"Unlike everyone else in your life, I don't work for you." Strange said harshly, and, in your opinion, very unnecessarily.

"And due to that fact, we're now in a flying doughnut billions of miles away from Earth with no backup." Tony shot back.

"I'm backup." Peter said, raising his hand.

"No. You're a stowaway, and so are you." he said, pointing at you, "The adults are talking."

You bristled with indignation.

"I'm sorry, I'm confused as to the relationships here. I would have thought she was your kid if she weren't Asgardian, but what is he, your ward?" Strange asked, pointing first to you and then to Peter. Tony looked at Strange, then at you, swallowing hard.

"No... I'm Peter, by the way." Peter said.

"Doctor Strange." the wizard replied.

"Oh, we're using our made-up names. Um, I'm Spider-Man, then." Peter told him as Tony walked away. Strange frowned.

"This ship is self-correcting its course. Thing's on autopilot." Tony informed you all; you crossed to stand next to him at the front of the ship.

"Can we control it? Fly us home?" Strange asked, joining the two of you. Tony didn't reply, his eyes glazing over.

"Stark?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you get us home?"

"Yeah I heard you. I'm thinking... I'm not so sure we should." Tony said slowly.

"Under no circumstances can we bring the Time stone to Thanos. I don't think you quite understand what's at stake here." Strange stressed.

"No. It's you who doesn't understand that Thanos has been inside my head for six years since he sent an army to New York and now he's back! And I don't know what to do. So I'm not so sure if it's a better plan to fight him on our turf or his but you saw what they did, what they can do. At least on his turf, he's not expecting it. So I say we take the fight to him, doctor. Do you concur?"

You stared at Tony in concern and sympathy. He was really panicking. You weren't sure why you weren't. Maybe you were in shock. Strange seemed to be considering what Tony had said.