21)"A favor for an old friend."

Start from the beginning

"Well tell your shorty she's fine. But these girls ain't got friends. Once they in my house, they follow my rules." He says, as I follow him down the hall. He knocks on one of the doors before it opens. Jamie stands at the door, sweatpants and a t-shirt on.

Her eyes widen when she sees me.

But I just stare at her.

"I'll give you a minute to speak to him sweetheart. Leave the door open." DeVante says.

"Yes sir." She says, DeVante gives her a smile before walking further down the hall and going into another girls bedroom.

"Your Adrienne's... Boyfriend." She says, walking into her room and sitting on the bed.

I glance around the room, its plain, not like a woman's room should be.

"Yea. Something like that." I say, she just nods. "She's worried about you I think, she hasn't said it, but after we saw you at the store that time she was different."

Jamie just sighs and crosses her legs.

"Will you tell her that I'm okay, and that I miss her?" She asks, her eyes on the ground in front of her.

"Why can't you do it? I know she wants to see you." I say, stuffing my hands in my pockets.

"I can't, De doesn't-"

She stops talking suddenly, her eyes looking past me. I turn around and DeVante is standing at the door.

"Times up sweetness, get dressed, we're going out in a bit." He says to her, making me walk out of the room past him.

This shit disgust me, the way he treats these girls. I used to tell myself that I would find a way to shut his lil business down, because he's been at this a long time. But one thing I learned, is that most of them are comfortable here, and they don't wanna be helped.

And the last thing I wanna do is start a war with this crazy nigga.

I head down the stairs towards his front door.

Then I hear DeVante call my name, making me turn around. He's standing at the top of the stairs.

He tosses me my car keys that I didn't realize I was missing.

"You owe me a favor now." He says.

"Ion owe you shit." I say, before walking out the door.

Adrienne

"I think I just want the chicken and waffles." I say, before handing the waitress my menu.

She smiles at me before writing my order down.

"Do you guys have milkshakes here?" I ask. The woman nods.

"I want one of those too, doesn't matter what kind." I say, "Milkshake for breakfast?" She laughs.

"Yes. Biggest size you have please."

She just writes that down too before walking away. I rub my eyes. I feel tired and sluggish. I had to force myself out of my apartment to get some sun light because I knew it would be good for me.

But I don't feel any better.

I put my head down on the table like a kindergartner, trying to block out some of the noise and light.

"Adrienne?" Someone calls my name, making me look up.

My eyes widen when they meet with Michael's. He leans down wrapping his arms around me, the smell of his cologne waking up all my senses. I just stare at him as he pulls away, where the hell has he been?