Chapter 4

Johan stayed only a few hours. He couldn't get much from the tissues and hanging clothing. Sloan would get him the ME's report and if they found any finger prints and latent particles. Johan nodded and wanted to tell him not to bother. This perp had been killing in LA for the last six months and he has changed his MO.
As he was driving back to his hotel room by a non talkative officer, he thought about how Sloan contacted him on the first killing. The perp started with prostitutes smothering them and cutting them up in small pieces. The reason why Sloan contacted him was because he couldn't figure out how the perp cut the woman and piece them back together like a jigsaw puzzle.
The first couple of killings three in only didn't have the sophistication of the tissue pieces floating with a scene played out. This was a no development. Sloan was under pressure to find this killer. And the only reason why he was consulted because he specialized in occult and magical items.
The police car stopped at the front of his apartment building. He stepped out and before Johan could close the door the police cruiser sped away. Johan almost shouted something but he held it. It was early morning and he wanted to get some breakfast. He went into his apartment and waved his hands. The lights turned on.
Johan checked his safeguards. Placing his bag on the dinning room table, he looked around. He has protection runes all over the walls. They held in place and couldn't be seen by non magical people. He took a quick shower and changed into new clothes.
Leaving his apartment, he closed his door and walked down to his favorite diner. This part of the city had not changed. The cracked, uneven payment was the same as as the liquor store and small deli attached to it. He had been living in this neighborhood for several years. And he was never accosted by gang members or hooligans. Even if they tried, he knew had to steer them away from him.
The liquor store was at the end of the block. It was called Mikes liquor and deli. A bum was laying outside. He held a cup to him. Johan fished out a dollar and gauge it to him. He walked inside the liquor store.
Johan said, "Hey Joe, how are you today?"
"Fine. Breakfast?"
"Sure."
The front of the store was a shelves filled with groceries with metal large window coolers for drinks and alcohol. Joe stood behind a large table and behind him was shelves filled with alcohol and boxes of cigarettes. In the back was a deli and Johan sat in the nearest seat. Nobody was there and it was always available.
Joe said, "I'll be right there."
"That's fine. I'll order with the cook."
"Ok." Joe was ringing up a man buying a six pack of beer. Johan had been going here for as long as he moved in at his apartment. The cook was standing behind in the back and there was a rectangular opening showing the cook waiting for him.
Johan said, "Ed, give me scrambled eggs, bacon and wheat toast."
"Sure thing. Late night?"
"Yes, you can say that."
Johan took a seat and waited. He looked at the newspaper thrown around the table and scanned the stories he wasn't really looking at the articles. He was thinking about the killings and wondered about his suspects. His first choice was some dark wizard or rogue magic user. He knew almost all the magic community in Los Angeles.
Johan knew this because he was part of it and he had talked to many of the suspects. The police as well as  the non-magical world that there was a vibrant arcane structure in Los Angeles. His master, Craig Zonith, has taught him well. And he knew his next step.
He heard a bell. Before he could stand, Joe was already moving. The proprietor placed his food in front of him and gave him some food utensils.
Joe said, "So, how's the case you're working?"
"You know Joe I cannot talk about it."
"Come on."
Johan said, "You never asked me before about my cases." He paused. "How asked you?"
Joe spread his hands. The man was rail thin and dark skin. He smiled. "Sorry, Johan, there was a reporter around here and he wanted to know about you. He said that you have been working a serial murder case."
"Who was this person?"
Joe said, "Well, she was beautiful. You should take to her."
"No, I shouldn't be talking about it. What did she promise you?"
"Okay, she was going to give me money."
Joe walked away. Johan shook his head. Great he thought a reporter. He didn't want to talk to anybody. Taking a bite from his toast, he wondered what his next move. He had been investigating for months and having got any new leads. He should talk to the dark wizard who lived close to Griffith Park.
He wondered what was his name and then recalled about a bonafide, Oracle living close to the 5 freeway. She was a palm reader but she was the real deal according to his master, Craig. He needed to check the Oracle out what if the person was the killer. It was worth.

***

After his breakfast, he called his master and he gave him the address to the Oracle. Johan promised him that he was going to visit him soon. He drove toward the area.

The Oracle lived near the 5 fwy. The traffic was heavy during this Thursday mid morning. His car, a old Ford Fiesta, was crunched between two large semis in bumper to bumper traffic. He berated himself and wished he took the streets instead of the freeway. He inches along the 101 fwy coming out of the downtown LA area.
He steered away toward the exit and saw up ahead the flashing lights of a police cruiser. There was an accident. He try to recalled the streets around this part of the city but he couldn't remember. So, he sat in traffic until he finally moved around the accident.
Even with his considerable gifts of magic, he didn't want to blast his way out of his predicament. He has responsibilities but he wished he could tear his way around this traffic. He finally exited on an off ramp to his destination. Taking a few turns and moving into a residential block, he noticed the address painted on the block.
The houses were all one story and seemed to be built in the same box formation with a small driveway and front yards. He felt an air of despair as of the denizens living here only stayed here because that was all they could afford and nothing else.
He saw the house. His master told him it was a yellow house with white trim. It seemed miraculously cleaner and kept up. The grass was green and cut and the white picket fence wasn't broken or faded. 
Johan parked his car in the front. He already sensed the protective runes all over the front and house. He could see them as clear as his hands. Moving up the driveway, he knew the Oracle felt his presence but he walked up the patio to the entrance. He was about to knock when a voice said, "Come inside. It's open."