"You know," I mused, rolling my shoulders, "I'm actually feeling pretty good right now. I'm a bit surprised... Normally the muscle ache lasts for days."

"Maybe you got a good night's sleep, and your muscles had time to heal properly."

Oh no, my wolf gasped. He knows... Why else would he say that?

I did a quick scan of Stitch's face, but I didn't pick up on any indications that he might know that I'd slept in the bed. The smile was still just a smile, not a smirk. His eyes weren't sparkling as if he knew something scandalous. So he must have been innocently suggesting that I slept well.

"Maybe..." I finally replied, rolling my head a little. "It's a good thing I feel fine, though. I'm going out for a run with Luna later this morning. I'd hate to be a limp noodle for that."

Stitch smiled a bit broader and stepped aside to let me pass. "You've never been a limp noodle, Zoey. But I'm pleased to hear that you healed faster. It means you're getting stronger. As you get stronger, that means you're one step closer to being able to withstand breaking your mate bond."

I stared at him for a second. "You don't think I would survive it when I first got here? Is that why everything is delayed? Because I'm too weak to take it?"

I had always assumed that, since Jax had already broken things from his side, breaking the mate bond from my side wouldn't be as harsh. The link between us was weakening every day, so it shouldn't be that traumatic of an experience. But maybe there was more to it than I realized.

"Breaking their mate bond is a soul-wrenching experience, even for the strongest wolf," Stitch countered. "Even though your mate broke his side of the bond a long time ago, it's still a sacred bond forged by the Moon Goddess. Tampering with that at any time is excruciating. No matter how strong you are mentally, the physical pain could still kill you."

My heart thumped against my ribs a couple times. He wasn't joking or belittling me. He was completely serious... and concerned.

"You truly think it might kill me," I whispered, my chest tightening around my lungs.

Stitch shook his head. "...not anymore. You've come a long way in a short time. I think you're strong enough to survive it, but I'd feel better if I knew that you could do more than just survive it."

"I feel better each day," I promised him. "I know that I'll be ready whenever the time comes."

"I know that you will be. Just so you know, we're having a team debrief after breakfast today. Van wants to run through what happened with the Midnight spy, so you'll have all the facts about where we're at and what we're doing."

I blinked a couple times. "Oh... you want me to join the debrief?"

As we hadn't actually moved yet, Stitch motioned for me to head towards the dining room. "Of course. This has as much to do with you than any of us. Van specifically said that you should be there so we can get you up to speed. I'm assuming that you'd like to be kept in the loop as to our plans, right?"

"Right," I quickly affirmed. Knowing more would definitely put me at a bit more ease.

Stitch followed me down the hall and paused us in the dining room doorway. "We're all in this together, Zoey. We'll tell you everything you need to know, and I'll tell you anything beyond that."

"Thanks, Stitch."

Breakfast was a calm affair. Most everyone else had cycled through earlier, so just Van's team and I occupied the breakfast table. The guys exchanged a few words but mostly focused on their food. I didn't try to force a conversation. They could and would talk if they felt the need to do so.