Chapter 9

Once again, you wake up in a bed, but this time, not your own. It was the infirmary bed on Kid's ship this time, and not only was that a noticeable thing that was different, but the fact that your body wasn't searing with pain anymore, was a major difference too.

Slowly blinking your eyes into a clearer field of vision, you lifted your head to see yourself in your current state. Bandages. Tons of bandages covered your entire body from head to toe, being tied at the perfect tightness to compress your muscles just enough to ease away all the ache your body had on it, while managing to not limit your movement or cause too much pressure. Looking over across the room, a garbage can contained many white cloths, all being stained with blood to the deepest degree. Also on the floor scattered around the can, were empty bottles of disinfectant, special creams for aches, and empty foils that would have contained three or four pills in the package at max.

"Then... It really happened..." You thought to yourself after seeing your surroundings, plopping your head back down on the pillow with a sigh. "We fought Relic... And now he's gone."

You began to flex your right hand to test how much pain would still be lingering, but when you did, you stopped short when you felt something soft touch your fingers. Looking up again, you finally noticed that Kid was sitting on a chair at your bedside, bandaged up just as much as you were with his head resting on the edge of your bed, his red hair accidentally tangling itself in your fingers. There was a half empty bottle of anti-rust metal polish on a small table next to him with a rag slightly covered in blood accompanying it. Looks like he tried to clean his arm up when he could, using that before he passed out.

You stared at him for a moment, taking in his rather damaged appearance. Through some of his bandages, blood seeped through slightly, signaling they needed to be changed. It almost brought tears to your eyes again, seeing him so hurt. This was what you tried to avoid, but couldn't.

Then, the slight movement of your fingers accidentally stirred his hair enough to pull him into slight consciousness, twitching a bit at the feel. Bringing his head up, his soft red hair left your fingers as he yawned, cleared the fog from his eyes, and rested his line of sight upon you, you staring back up at him from your place on the bed.

"Oh, you're finally awake." Kid greeted groggily, shaking his head slightly.

"That should be something I say to you right now." You noted, laughing slightly to lighten the mood.

"Right, sorry." Kid chuckled, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. "But how do you feel? Your injuries were pretty serious." He then added, directing the conversation towards your health concerns.

"Mine? You're the one that... almost died..." You mumbled, averting your eyes.

Kid sighed. "Touché. That was a bit stupid to run off so suddenly... I'm lucky you were able to come when you did." He admitted.

Sitting up, you sighed as you remembered the events that took place most likely around two hours ago. How scared you were, combined with some anger towards both Relic and Kid.

"Lucky? More than lucky I think." You began, letting out a bit of pent up anger as you went. "You almost died there. You were a split second away from dying. Do you know how SCARED I was?! If you died I'd-" You paused, choking on your words and threatening tears at the memories.

"_______, I'm... I'm sorry. But you would have too if I didn't do anything." He argued softly.

"...I know... But maybe It wouldn't have made a difference. I've only been here a month. You could have avoided this all if you just set me off with the other slaves." You mumbled.