Tell Me

To anyone with eyes it was clear that Ethan and Lexie's relationship wasn't strictly professional. His guard always slipped when she was around, and even just being an intern seemed to not annoy him. They were always sneaking around together and Ethan even called her rookie. This relationship never seemed to bother anyone, it was harmless and it was probably nothing. The only thing it really influenced was the competition, but as long as they were wise about who saw them together, and what they were doing, they would be fine. This never raised a problem until Lexie moved from 17th to 1st in one week. She had leaped frogged all her friends and although they were happy for her, Jackie wasn't. To herself Jackie was clearly the better doctor, she worked harder, studied harder, took more shifts and cases, and despite all her efforts she still wasn't the best. She came to Edenbrook to be the best, and the best, was her friend. Reading too much into the relationship she started seeing signs it was rigged. They snuck into labs together, worked on patients together, they bonded. Landry on the other was the exact same. He wanted that relationship between Ethan and him, he wanted the tough mentor. He wanted to be pushed to be the best doctor from someone he considered the best. Jackie and Landry decided to work together to dethrone Lexie as they both knew they wanted it more.

After Ethan quit, more was revealed and Lexie started to crack. The reason they were so close was because of Dr. Banerji. He was sick and dying and her and Ethan were spending every last minute trying to figure out what was wrong. No wonder she was on top. Ethans mentor, some he considered family, was dying and hidden in the under construction wing from the public. Not only was Lexie picking up cases but she was helping solve the case of the best diagnostician of his generation. Of course Ethan left and the competition was now really relevant. And with her lawsuit being the centre of attention now. Jackie let herself help, she wanted to. Lexie was still her roommate and friend, and the least she could do was help.

The morning Ethan was meant to come back to work Jackie saw him sneaking out with Lexie, together. She had been so blind that she had forgotten about their relationship. They soooo had slept together last night, and she could bet it wasn't the first time. The competition wasn't over yet and she could still win, even if Lexie and Ethan were now something more than attending and intern.

That morning she tried to get there early. Pick up the slack, pull some more shifts, do some amazing diagnosing. Unfortunately she walked in just as Dr. Banerji declared Lexie was the junior fellow. Jackie walked over to her only to see her storm off. She followed till they were in an empty wing of the hospital.

"Where are you going Lex?" Jackie stormed closer until she stopped short and crossed her arms across her chest to make herself look and feel tougher.

"Somewhere alone, I just need time to think." She turned her head and locked eyes with Jackie for a second before turning back around and walking again.

"Why? Aren't you happy that sleeping with Ethan got you a position in the diagnostic team!" Jackie's words stabbed the air as she coldy snapped at Lexie, demeaning her in so many ways.

"I'm sorry, what!" She turned back around and met Jackie's cold stare.

"We both know you were only sleeping with Ethan to get that job." Again she accused her because she was jealous, she was envious, and undoing Lexie just felt so right.

"No! I work for that spot. I am a good doctor jackie. I am good and I worked hard for that position." Lexie was now justifying herself rightfully so. She was good, great even. And her broken relationship had nothing to do with it.

"You're probably only good in bed. You won't last a day. Not when you can't last a year without seducing an attending." Her accusation cut through Lexie and was tearing her apart. She went to speak up again when Ethan interjected coming from around the corner.  

"Dr. Varma! I can assure you that Lex- er, Dr. Colon earned that position. There is no relationship, you need to cool off." He walked in and interjected and went to stand up for Lexie. He walked over to her to pull her away from the situation to detach her, but Lexie yanked herself from his grip.

"Oh god! Of course you're here. Because poor little Lexie cant handle herself. I can live without you Ethan, you wanted this, you get this. Learn. To. Live. Without. Me." Lexie clapped back at Ethan before running away. Her tears fell from her cheeks as she quickly turned a corner and left the situation. Ethan and Jackie just stood there waiting for her to come back. She never did so they both left.

Lexie ran into an empty room, her body drooping from the pain. Ethan had detached himself this morning, left her. And then came and tried to save her. The worst part was she knew Jackie was right. She wouldn't last a day in the team. But she knew that Jackie wanted her gone from day one. I guess she got what she wanted then. Lexie left the team before she even joined, and began life as a normal second year resident. And Dr. Jackie Varma was the new fellow.