Storm on My Heart

Whatever Lexie and Ethan had was in the past. Their so-called "relationship" just couldn't work out when Ethan wasn't ready to make such a big commitment. He wasn't intending to hurt her, he still wanted to be there for her. Just he had trust issues especially when it came to love. Fast forward a year from their breakup and they were best of friends. Lexie was alway there for him, she knew he had issues but she pursued him anyway. It was her decision to try this relationship in the first place. They would eat lunch together while working through cases, and spend nights influencing each other's taste by forcing them to watch another bad movie with them. They wouldn't cuddle or flirt in any way, they would just sit there enjoying eachothers company like you would a best friend. Some nights she longed to have him by her side again, but she knew he didn't want that so she had to deal with these feelings some other way.

By the time Ethan had realized how much he wanted Lexie it was simply too late. The main factor proving to him how possessive he was, was when she introduced him to her new boyfriend Daniel. Daniel seemed like your generic dick. The kind that would push away a girl after getting their way. To say Ethan hated Daniel was and understatement. Instead of hanging out with Ethan, Lexie would say things like "Oh sorry, Daniel wants me to have lunch with him today" or "Daniel said I couldn't hang out with you today because we're going out later." Every single one of these comments made everything worse, because it soon got to the point where Daniel forbade her from talking to him. She had to block his contact and only talk to him, about subjects Daniel approved. Ethan was still too lovestruck over Lexie to realise Daniel was slowly manipulating her to the point where she could barely do anything on her own. Lexie's lexie smile had faded, she no longer was cheerful and scrapes and bruises were normally covered up by a shirt under her scrubs. To everyone else Lexie looked like she was in a toxic relationship. But to Ethan she looked just "happy" he should have known better.

----------------

It had been so long since Ethan had talked to her, so long since they had sat down in his office and set up the projector to display another shitty film. His head seemed to always be clouded by thoughts of her, how she smelled that day, or how her hair was messily braided. These thoughts would take over his system and that night hit him hard. Ethan sat crossed legged on the ground, forehead resting against the cool window, hand holding a glass of nice wine. The rain from the outside world patterned against the window, forming shapes and lines right before his eyes. The urge to leave his sky high apartment and walk through his favourite park while being drenched with rain was unbearable. This feeling pushes more and more each second. Maybe the cold rain will help get his thoughts in order, maybe it will help him, maybe it will support him. All sense of self control was lost and not soon after he found himself roaming the streets of Boston in the cold rain.

As the coldness of the night sunk in he began to walk further, at some point tuning out where he was going because one second he was close to home, and the next he was at a park hidden in the corner of the city. It was close to a row of restaurants and not many people knew about it. When he and Lexie were still dating it was a great place to relax, as nobody from the hospital ever imposed their tranquil dates. His hair was wet, dripping cold spurts of water into his eyes, his jacket still keeping him somewhat dry and warm. His mind still pondered the thought of Lexie as he walked to the pond and the middle. His brain was barely focussed on her now, more interested in the way the rain made pretty ripples on the edge of the water. Or how he saw a figure run through the park before stopping at a bench. His mind was not really in it, but he was still a doctor, and thought that maybe they would need help. But as he approached the bench he heard the tears of a voice he was all too familiar with. "Excuse me miss, are you ok?" his words chattering in his mouth because of the cold air around them.