Chapter 5: Battle at Oniyuri

Nora: "Another day, another adventure"

Ruby: "What's on the agenda today?"

Jaune: "Walking" He answered without taking his eyes off the map held out in front of him.

Nora: "With a side of..."

Ren: "Walking". Ruby sighed as the group continued to walk down the path to the next village, surrounded by trees on all sides.

Ruby: "Haven is a lot farther away than I thought" Beside her, Kai raised a brow, "Uh, how long did you think this journey was going to take?" Ruby thought for a second before throwing up her arms in frustration, "I don't know! I grew up in a small area, I've never been this far away from home"

Jaune: "Right but, how long?"

Ruby: "Maybe like...two weeks...?"

Jaune & Kai: "What?!"

Ruby: "Okay fine, three or something! Whatever...hey what's that?" The group came to a halt just outside what seemed to be the entrance to another village.

Jaune: "That's strange..." he peered down at the map again, "...I didn't think we'd be hitting another village for a few days"

Ren: "It's not on the map? Maybe it was newly constructed, that or the map's too old". Nora squinted in front of the group, looking closely at the village, "Are those buildings...damaged?"

Kai: "No...not again"

Jaune: "We should search for survivors!" The group dashed quickly into the village and looked around, leaving the map behind on the ground.

Ruby: "Anything?"

Nora: "Nothing over here"

Jaune: "No one over here either"

Ren: "It almost seems like..."

Kai: "...the town was abandoned" As the others moved forward, Kai noticed Ruby glued to her spot, as she looked around at the eerie town, "Hey, what's wrong?"

Ruby: "I'm just...wondering...what could drive people to abandon their homes like this? What exactly where they running from?" Before Kai could answer, Nora called out to the others, "Hey! I think I found something!" Without another word, Kai and Ruby headed towards Jaune, Ren and Nora where they crowded around something in the middle of the road. It was a signboard, and as Nora cleared away the plants that had grown across it, she read the name out loud.

Nora: "Oniyuri. Hm, never heard of it"

Jaune: "Me neither"

Kai: "Ren?" Ren nodded, "I have." he turned to face the group with a sad look in his eyes, "You might think of it as Anima's Mountain Glenn, had it never been completed. Years ago the richest members of Mistral were unhappy with how the Kingdom was being run. Frustrated with the council, they pooled their resources together to build their own city, with their own laws. They hoped that one day, it could maybe even become its own Kingdom. Many thought it would be the future...I know my parents did..."

Ruby: "What...happened?"

Ren: "What always happens"

Jaune: "The grimm" Ren clenched his fists tightly, "Not just any one..."

Kai: "One grimm?" Suddnely a flock of startled crows flew off from the forest in the distance, startling everyone.

Jaune: "Come on, let's just get through here. This place gives me the creeps" One by one, the members of the group slowly walked forward, resuming their journey to Mistral.
.
.
.
It was getting dark now, and the group finally approached the exit to the town of Oniyuri. As they trudged on, Ren raised a hand signalling them to stop. Jaune opened his mouth to ask why but Kai raised a finger to silence him, allowing Ren to concentrate. Slowly, Ren reached for his weapon, and the others did the same instinctively.