(13)Saddle up

Começar do início

"You really do dream big, don't you?" Jason teased, rolling his eyes. Leigh let out a heavy sigh, ignoring him as she made her way deeper into the campsite. She could see from her peripheral that there were a small man-made stable with seven horses taking resident there. She had always been amused by the animals, but being so close had her nerves a bit frayed. 

"We weren't expecting you Leigh," Jim, Jason's father, said. He was a tall man with a head full of silver hair that he probably dyed fashionably. "So I hope you don't mind sharing a horse with your fiancé." His tone was somewhat condescending, as if he knew that Jason and Leigh weren't really engaged.

"Why would she care, father," Jason said in a playful tone. Leigh could tell that Jason had picked up on Jim's tone as well, and as if to prove a point, he pulled Leigh to him and wrapped his arms around her waist. She shivered, mentally scolding her body for acting like a hormonal teenager. "After all, she's used to riding like a cowgirl anyway."

Leigh felt her eye twitch at his inappropriate innuendo, and it took everything out of her to not reach into her bag and pepper spray him with the full can she always carried around due to their certain circumstances with the mob. There was a chorus of disgusted grunts followed by a few whistles. 

"I think we should start our trail now, before anymore of you inform your own mother of your sex life," Janice said, fingers pressed to her head as if she was catching a migraine. Jason let out a small laugh into Leigh's ear, pressing his lips to her temple and dragging her by the wrist to the horse stables.

"I could kick your ass right now," Leigh hissed to him, her eyebrows furrowed as she bit her bottom lip. The last thing she wanted was for Jason's family to think that she was a whore with an open sex life. The very thought was vile.

"Which horse do you want to ride," Jason said, ignoring her threat. She narrowed her eyes at him, yet otherwise let it go, focusing on the selection of horses in front of her.

"The white one looks like the less likely to bite my face off," Leigh said in a sharp tone. Jason scoffed at her.

"Why?" he asked, looking down at her. "Because it's white?"

"Well, white is an angelic color," Leigh defended.

"Looks can be deceiving," he said to her. "But, if the white horse is what you want, it's what you'll get."

Leigh smirked watching as Jason made his way through the stable. She frowned when she seen Jeremy McFarroll, the second oldest, already making his way to the horse and trying to climb on it. Leigh's eyes widened as she saw Jason grab Jeremy by the collar of his shirt and pull him down from the horse. She knew that boys were rough, but she didn't expect Jason to be so aggressive. After all, if Jeremy got to the horse first, he should have been able to keep it.

"What the hell are you doing?" Jeremy screeched, his head of long dark hair falling into his eyes. "I made it to the horse first."

"That's good for you," Jason said with a smug grin, motioning for Leigh to come to him. "But, I have seniority over you, so this horse is mine for the picking." Jeremy gave Jason and Leigh, who had just made it to Jason's side, a grimace before stalking away with his wife. Leigh looked after him, watching as he muttered indecent words under his breath.

"Do you have to be so much of a bully?" Leigh asked, her mouth hanging ajar.

"I was only giving my fiancé what she wanted," he said, his lips curling into a soft smile. Leigh rolled her eyes, looking at the horse. Everyone else was already getting on the horses and preparing for the trail.

Jason grabbed onto the horses saddle, pulling himself up and swinging one leg over. Leigh watched with curious eyes. The way he moved onto the horse was smooth and graceful, as if he had lessons as a kid.