Preview of "Moments"

Author's note: taken place after the prison's attack

"Will you let me take care of you?" I ask [Rick] with great vulnerability. My heart ached not only for him, but from all pain and loss we've all gone through. I thought that helping him would bring some sort of goodness to the both of us.

"I don't even know where you'd begin." He managed to say. He coughs a bit and then groaned. I took that as permission.

"Lay down." I whisper as I guided his head onto a pillow on one side of the couch. I had to help his legs up on the couch. I took his boots off and set them next to the couch. I caught his eyes focused on me, and finally they locked. I give him a small smile. This moment of taking care of him was one of the only good feelings I've had in the past few days. Not to mention I had a bit of a thing for Rick already. I finished adjusting his body onto the couch.

"Thank you." He says. I locked eyes with him once more. I was about an arm's length away from him. The moment felt a bit intimate. I give him another small smile before going to get blankets.

After checking on Carl, I went downstairs to begin keeping watch. Rick had fallen asleep a few hours ago, shortly after he laid down on the couch. I stalled a bit, watching his chest rise and fall from his breath. I had yet another wave of tenderness for Rick come along. I fought with myself inside my head, until my emotions got the best of me. I walked quietly over to him and knelt beside him in the dark. While he was still asleep, I gave him a kiss on his cheek. I slowly pull away from him, exhilarated and also uneasy from it. My indecisive thought process was quickly interrupted once his lips began to move,

"I was waiting for that." He smirks with his eyes still closed. I put my hand up to my mouth in embarrassment.

"Oh my god—" I scramble to get up from beside him. My heart pounding and face burning hot.

"Sweetheart," Rick says in a way to ease my nerves. He had his tired eyes open at this point. I was still standing, stuck in place. "Of all the shit that's happened this week, a pretty girl's kiss makes it a little more tolerable."