Chapter 18: A momentary goodbye

Start from the beginning

"A week ago we didn't even know each other," Paul pointed out in the same tone.

"Dear lord- don't say it like that!" I slapped his chest and blushed. Paul just chuckled before kissing my forehead and pulling me down to the couch beside him.

Terry sat back into what I assumed was his designated seat. "So- what do you do Stiles?"

"I'm currently in college- studying to become a criminal analyst," I answered as confidently as I could. "My dads the sheriff back home."

Terry started to laugh. "Good luck dating the sheriffs son!" He chortled, looking at his soon doubtfully.

"That's what I said!" I agreed. Paul was frowning at both of us.

"What's that supposed to mean? I can handle myself!" Paul scoffed, puffing out his chest a little bit.

"We'll see about that," I said smugly, picturing my dad holding him at gunpoint. The picture wasn't entirely impossible.

"Gosh- I wish I could be there to see it," Terry smirked- I imagine he was picturing the same thing. "When are you going to meet his family?" He asked his son.

"Geez dad! You literally just met him two seconds ago- maybe give us a little time to breathe?" He rolled his eyes at his father.

"And? I hear he's leaving today," he quirked a questioning brow as he gestured to me. "How's this going to work?" He waved his hand between us.

"Seriously?! Why are you so nosy?" Paul groaned, falling back against the couch dramatically.

"It's the only way I've been able to keep tabs on you all these years," his father winked at me. I chuckled at the two of them. They were increasingly reminding me of my dad and I's relationship.

"We've got it figured out dad," Paul sighed in a tolerant voice- as if he were an adult humouring a child. This is a tone I can relate to. I frequently used it on my own worriesome- can't cook his own meals- father. Not that I minded.

"If you say so," he smiled. "It was lovely to meet you Stiles... but I'm sure you two would rather be doing something else on your last day together," he wiggled his eye brows suggestively.

"You know what? I'm not even going to validate that with a response," Paul said with finality, pulling me up and out of the room. I giggled at the two of them, winking at Terry before he was out of sight.

Paul pulled me down a short hallway, stopping in front of a bedroom slightly smaller than my own at home.

"This is mine," he said, stepping inside and stretching his arms wide. He had a sarcastic look on his face, as if to say 'I know- it's small'.

Again, I silently inspected his space- desperate to learn more about the man I'm destined to be with. His room was painted a sage coloured green and it was tidy, with a few pieces of clothing strewn about. But otherwise, nothing was out of place. The room was large enough to hold a small desk and dresser, as well as a bedside table and what looked to be a double bed. His sheets were a plain beige, and his comforter was a think, forest green blanket that covered at least four pillows. There was a small stack of obviously well loved books in one corner of the desk, and a massive stack of dvds and cds in the other. It sat in front of a  huge window that filtered the natural light into the room and had a viney plant hanging in the centre. A small flatscreen tv was balanced on top of the dresser against the wall, with a scattering of tiny pieces of driftwood and smooth beach stones at its base.

"I like it," I decided out loud, turning to smile at him. He grinned back before scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

"So... what do you wanna do?" He chuckled, trying to break the silence.