♱ Chapter 8 ♱

Start from the beginning

"I wanted to apologize for what I said the other night. It was uncalled for and I should've thought before I spoke," I apologized. I meant every word, feeling regretful for how I had yelled at her. I knew what I had said was extremely hurtful. My mother still wasn't over DeMalo's betrayal and I don't know if she would ever get over the loss of her son.

She nodded, leaning back on my father's desk. She didn't say anything. I didn't expect her to.

"I just... I don't know what you want me to do. I don't know if I can continue with this search for a potential suitor," I told her honestly.

"You don't have a choice, Piper," My mother responded. I furrowed my brow in confusion. The anger that flared up within me in that second was almost uncontrollable.

"What do you mean I don't have a choice? Alec had a choice. Alec got to go to a country of his choosing!"

"That's different. Your brother-"

"Is future king, I know. That doesn't change anything. If anything, that strengthens my point. You gave the heir to the throne the freedom to choose the next queen. We're lucky he chose Raven. With how concerned you seem to be about my future Soulmate, it seems pretty odd you weren't concerned about Alec's choice in future queen. I am not even heir, so would it really matter that I was given the freedom to choose my Soulmate?" I explained to her. I was exasperated. I had been arguing the decision to have a lineup of potential suitors for the past month.

"We need you to find a suitable Soulmate because the strength of this family's power depends on it, you know that."

"No, I don't know that. I don't get that. Why does it matter that we have a strong image? Our family has been in power for over a millennium. The last time I checked, there are no threats against our family's reign," Once I said that, memories of everything Evander had told me and the images of the slaughter played in my head as a reminder. But I still didn't know if anyone in my family knew of the schism between Evander's kind and ours. Did that really affect my ability to make a decision for myself?

"Times are changing Piper. Ever since... DeMalo fought for your brother's claim, our family has been under serious scrutiny. You are free to choose out of those we have approved of."

"All of those men that you've approved of might be suitable for you and father, but they are not suitable for me! Don't you think that matters?" I stood abruptly, painful anger and frustration feeding off of my exhaustion. Maybe I should've waited for a time where I could control my anger a little bit better...

My mother seemed stumped for an answer after I said that. I groaned and took that as my sign to leave. I slammed the door of my father's office behind me.

There was just too much. Everything was too much. My aging, the impending Soulmate bond that I wanted less and less to do with, the Warlock in the woods, and the fact that my kind was killing off his. It was all bubbling up in me.

I still didn't even know if I should say anything about that. What if I did and Evander was right? What if everyone knew and I just hadn't been informed? What if I brought it up and they found out about Evander? If my kind was capable of such hatred and slaughter towards the Witches, then what would they do if they found out I had been in contact with one?

Not that I knew Evander very well. I at least knew that he didn't deserve to be hunted and killed just because he'd been in contact with me. None of his kind deserved to be hunted for no reason. But it was undeniable that many of my kind thought differently.

I couldn't risk telling anyone about what I had found out until I knew it was safe and that no one would get hurt.

So many questions were flooding through my mind. The weight of it all was sinking in and all I could think of was, what if it was never safe?

I only knew of one person I could possibly talk to about this. And even talking to him would be a risk.

But I knew that if I wanted to know why my kind was doing this, then I would have to.

––––––––––•A/N•––––––––––

If you read HMB prior to this, it is quite obvious things have changed, including Irina, Piper and Alec's mother.

I hope you all are liking the book so far!

Comment -->

Vote

&

Share