22.| This Year Will Be Different

Start from the beginning

Lucas furrowed his brows. "What happened, bird boy?"

"Everyone here is treating me like some kind of hero. I can't take it anymore." Landon said with a hefty huff. "And they kept talking about you too. I'm sure Josie almost hurt one of the students."

"Please, Jo wouldn't even hurt a fly." Lucas snorted

"You don't know that."

"You're right," Lucas admitted. "I've got to go, though. I'll see you later."

Landon nodded and said his goodbyes.

Now, Lucas once again made his way towards Josie who noticed his presence. The Gemini witch was quick to cling onto him.

"I'm starting to reconsider allowing you to switch schools." Josie sighed

Lucas snorted. "Rough day?"

"Horrible."

"Hopefully dinner could change that for us." The Nephilim says before sticking his hand out. "Let's go."

Josie gladly took his hand and the two walked their way to a sushi diner. And to sum out the evening, it was horrible. It was the first time they had a bad date, they barely talked to each other. And Josie seemed off.

"Are you sure you don't want my jacket?" Lucas questions, noticing Josie was holding onto herself.

"I'm not cold." Josie instantly responded

Lucas's brows knitted together. "Well, are you mad at me?"

"No."

Lucas snorted. "Well, I'm not sure I believe that. You're lying to me."

Josie sighed. "Well, then, tell me what you want me to say."

"I don't need to tell you what to say, I just want you to be honest with me," Lucas replied getting with an upset tone. "You seemed miserable since we arrived."

Josie stopped in her place before turning to face the boy. "I just don't feel good, can we just talk about it tomorrow?" she says trying to walk away.

"What? No. You can't just walk away when we hit one bump in the road, Jo." Lucas huffs. "What changed?"

"Nothing," Josie said in desperation. "I'm sorry. I'm tired. Um—we had a bad date. It happens. I'm gonna go home, and I'm sure that everything is going to be fine tomorrow."

Lucas watched as the witch walked away from him. He knew something was wrong, he just couldn't remember what. The boy sat himself on the benches and let time fly by.

Before he knew it, the day had already bled into nightfall. He planned on making his way back to the school to talk to Josie. As soon as he stood up his eyes met with Hope.

"I guess you're stalking me," Lucas says catching her attention.

Hope slightly smiled. "Maybe I am."

Lucas hummed noticing her demeanor. "Rough night?"

"Yeah, actually, uh, relationship trouble," Hope admitted.

Lucas huffed. "Must be contagious."

"Why? You, too?"

"Yeah," The boy says taking a seat beside her. "I'm with this really amazing girl, but all of a sudden everything's super complicated."

Hope hummed

"You?" Lucas asked

Hope chuckled a little with a sad face. "Uh, old story, I guess, uh—Fell for a guy who doesn't even know that I exist."