14 Cads & Consequences

Start from the beginning

"I don't need to marry into the monarchy," Cinderella boasted. "Mother'd always said they were stuffy, boring people. Besides," she declared, taking hold of my hand and giving me a smile, "I'll just live with Stepmother all my life."

That made me laugh and I patted her hand.

Poppy's eager expression dissolved. Piglet wasn't far behind. There was no chatter after that, a fact that worried me.

We arrived in good time and as Poppy expected, our unusual coachman sparked chatter and curious onlooking.

Poppy was nervous at first until another coach pulled up, manned by a driver that, although nothing like Edmond in looks, resembled him in color.

That servant's clothing was even grander. Edmond held his head high but there was something beyond his gaze that troubled me. I regretted bringing him and made up my mind that he would remain home in the future.

I wished I could say I enjoyed the party but it was...work. Pretending mirth and revelry was...work. And keeping a close eye out for any slight to my girls, or mistakes was...work.

Poppy's piano skills stole the show. The mother who'd dare suggested she play in an effort to put her own daughter up shortly after, regretted that challenge to no limit.

From that moment, the tone changed, now no longer a friendly game find the better breeding but a deathmatch. I was eager to show Piglet off next, but the hostess, who could have chosen anyone out of the countless young girls there, zeroed in on our weak point—Cinderella.

It was her posture. The way she was so quiet the entire time. The way she hid herself either behind Poppy, Piglet, or both. A time or two, she even found her way to my side and I had to shoo her on to join the other girls yet again.

The mothers, more than ready to knock us down a peg, smelled blood and were eager to strike.

Rather than shy away, I raised my nose and called Cinderella to me. She nearly tripped in her panic. I whispered in her ear, "It's all right if you make a mistake. You planned to live with me forever anyway, correct? But there's chocolates at the end of this party for an exquisite guest."

Her eyes met mine and although she knew it was a lie, I was sure, it made her smile. For the chocolates, I'd get them myself.

The ornate chandelier high above complimented Cinderella's face well.

All gathered around to watch her fail. The quiver in her voice when she started her story, without the aid of a book, made me nervous. Behind my proud smile, my thoughts ran wild. A glance at Poppy showed a mirroring of my expression. She was panicked, too. Only Piglet, who nearly bit her nails, allowed others to know her worry.

Despite the bumpy start, Cinderella hit her stride midway and the rest was a blur after that. Her voice was light at cheerful moments. Her hands came up in an exaggerated fashion for the tension. And just before the climax, she leaned down and whispered; everyone leaned in to hear her. She was amazing. Absolutely amazing. She could weave a story far better than even Arabella, which was no easy feat.

Her final exclamation, punctuated by a jump, had some men falling back. The crowd was eerily still. When she finished, even the servants had paused in what they were doing to listen. A pin could drop, and we'd all hear it. One clap came from a gentleman then another.

And then they exploded into thundering applause.

It was a success. All worries receded from me with a long exhale. With that out of the way, I decided to go in search of Poppy's royal connections.