x8. The world is not so Candor

Start from the beginning

But that was a moment of weakness- whoever was with him, did hit Ellie hard enough for her to officially lose her consciousness.

For the last few seconds, she was still awake, she was being beaten and dragged and she felt it all, but couldn't move anymore.
But soon some familiar voices came in.
Very angry, very displeased voices.

"Damn it!", was the last thing she heard and the familiar feeling of safety overwhelmed her.
How lucky she was.

***

When she opened her eyes, her head was drubbing with pain.

The place around her was unusual, it looked like some kind of apartment.
She was still in Dauntless, that's for sure, she could tell by the style of the room she was in.

She turned her gaze and her head just to, to her surprise, see the face she never thought in her wildest dreams she'd see right now.

"Eric?", she weakly mumbled, trying to get up. But, this time the pain was too much to handle, her backs were aching, sending a great deal of hurt down her spine.

 But, this time the pain was too much to handle, her backs were aching, sending a great deal of hurt down her spine

"Yeah, it's me.", he was sitting on
the small dining table next to the sofa where she was lying in.

"What happened?", she asked, managing to get up while holding her hurting head with another hand

"Take these painkillers. It should
stop the pain in ten seconds.", Eric gave her the pills and the water. She took them and drank as her life depended on it.
Within two deep breaths, her head started to chill. So did her spine.

"What happened to me?", she asked, finally able to look at her surroundings. And Eric too.

"You got beaten up. At least, someone tried to beat both you and the Stiff, when I came with Four.", he said.

"Tris? She alright?", Ellie was worried, barely having the strength to maintain her voice.

"Unfortunately, yes, alive and well.", Eric rolled his eyes, which stole a smile from her.

"Do you know who did this?", she asked, looking serious again

She still wasn't able to gather the pieces from earlier this day. "I got in to save her. Eliminating me wasn't part of the plan.", she admitted.

"I don't know.", he said. "But I will find out.", he said. "Cowardness will never be tolerated in Dauntless."

"Thank you.", she said, feeling the pain already fully gone.

"You should rest. You can stay here tonight. I am going to my room.", he tried to stand up, but something pulled him back. He looked astounded.

Ellie was holding their hand, stopping him from leaving.

"Please stay.", she pleaded, looking at him. She was still holding his hand.

"I can't.", he gently pulled his hand out of her grip, actually sounding sorry.

"Please.", she pleaded again.

", she pleaded again

"Good night.", he slowly said and for an unknown reason kissed her forehead.

", he slowly said and for an unknown reason kissed her forehead

This was probably the most beautiful gesture ever.
Specifically coming from him.

It made her finally realize that he indeed was around her for her. Because he didn't probably randomly take initiates to his apartment for safe-keeping and a good night kiss.

She was discouraged anyway, 'cause she opened that much to tell him to stay.

The fire was still burning at the camin and she thought it will take her some time to sleep.

But, it felt like a home, this place. His place. He felt like home.
She looked at the bedroom where Eric left, realizing he had left the door half-open.
It looked like he wanted to keep her safe, even in his sleep.

She couldn't afford this.

Falling in love with the Dauntless Leader. Not now, not after tonight. Not ever.

She still couldn't remember who were Tris's attackers, but she decided not to push herself too hard.

They were both alive and well, that's all that mattered.

And she was lying in Lion's den.

Eric most definitely was not around her this whole time to kill her. If anything, he was there to save her clumsy ass from getting caught in a crossfire.
With these and similar thoughts, Ellie surprisingly quickly fleed to the state where everything is relevant. A good, strong dream.