Chapter 13 - Scavenging

Shiki steps over the dead body and walks up the flight of stairs, each step taken causing the stairs creak. Yui followed closely behind, clutching onto Shiki's hand tightly.

As they made their way into a slightly familiar room - the dining room, the floor was littered with what seemed to be newspapers. A layer of dust covered the floor with only a few slightly clean footprints which were probably the last steps Himiko and Zach ever took.

———

HEADLINES - THE END OF THE WORLD? NEW UNIDENTIFIED DISEASE SPREADS THROUGH JAPAN

Followed with sample pictures of what infected victims look like

———

Now now, this is starting to seem more and more like a zombie apocalypse. 

'Spreads through bodily fluids/ biting'

'evolved rabies?'

'coming back to life'

Every place in Japan has already been wiped out, there are no safe places left to hide. But every now and then, overseas military fly by dropping supply crates to assist survivors.

And then there's the system now...

~~~

TEMPORARY DISABLEMENT OF INFECTIVITY 

DUE TO THE LACK OF PEOPLE TO INFECT, TEMPORARILY DISABLING r0 FOR ALL DISEASES.

EVERYONE SHOULD WORK TOGETHER TO BEAT THE PLAGUE

1. Kill the disease spreader controlling the plague

2. Find the vaccine to prevent the spread any further

THE PLAGUE IS INCURABLE 

~~~

Does this mean I won't have to worry about dying from the lack of infections?

~~~

ALL CURRENT LIVING BEINGS INFECTED WITH 'Black' HAVE THE VIRUS FROZEN IN TIME. NO COMPLICATIONS WILL OCCUR UNTIL THE END OF THE PLAGUE.

~~~

This is the start, the start of the apocalypse.

"Yui, search the house. Find anything that could be useful in fighting. Be careful, there should be one more person in this building, if anything happens just shout 'KONTOL'"

"Kontol?"

"Ah yes, it's a 'way of saying help' in another language."

She grabs my hand and places it on her head, making me pat her, "Yes"

Then she slowly walks of into another room, presumably searching for stuff already.

And now, I shall do the most important thing in the time of apocalypse. Food

Yes. To be exact, cereal ;)

I walk over to the kitchen and opened the fridge. Almost everything in the fridge had already spoiled. The electricity for the building was nearly depleted, so it focused its remaining power on keeping the lights on. This building did had solar panels, unless Zach was lying.

In the cupboard there was a good amount of cereal left inside along with two dozen packs of cup noodles. It should last us a while, but we eventually need to go out in search for more food. I grab the cleaver by the kitchen counter and held it tightly in my hand, as though getting a feel for it. I swing it around for a bit, "The weights just about right." 

Being at the hospital for so Long gave me a lot of time to watch YouTube videos, one of my favourites to watch was something similar to survival genres. Bear Grills? Walking dead? Survival Games? You get the gist of it. 

Countless hours of watching made me learn how to handle these types of situations.

I walk back to Himiko's body near the cellar, grabbing the belt on her waist. Why was she wearing a belt? I don't know? Well, she's dead and that's a fact though.

I tie the belt around my waist and headed back to the kitchen to take a towel. Forming a somewhat makeshift sheath for my cleaver by my waist.

"KONTOL!!!"

(Author: oh yeah guys, go Google the meaning)

When I heard this I almost burst out laughing immediately, but this was a sign of danger. So I rushed towards the general area where I heard the voice.

I took the cleaver out of its sheath as I cleared the entrance of the room. The room which Yui entered happened to be my room, which also happened to be L shape. 

I dashed around the corner and slashed Zach's head off. He'd Long turned into one of those infected people, judging by the state of his rugged clothes. 

Yui dropped to her knees as and sat there, staring blankly into nothingness. Well, she was most likely scared. 

I threw a packet of cereal beside her, "here, eat this." and dragged the decapitated body with its head outside the room. This would hopefully give her some peace.

Zach and Himiko both turned, I'm assuming someone hit them so there should be atleast one more closeby. It's safe to be wary anyways. 

Himiko's body was probably the most recent infection in this household. Her clothes were not all that dirty and she would still come in to feed us everyday up till 2 days ago. I'm guessing that Zach turned first and Himiko locked him up inside my room, but this still doesn't explain how Himiko got infected.

I entered Himiko's room, looting whatever I could find.

—-

General stuff obtained I guess

- Cyan school bag

- Violet hairpin ( Yo this would look good on Yui ;) )

- Some pencils and pens ( well, Budget projectiles are needed)

- 1x blanket

—-

Now Zach's room

Yo this dude has an anime body pillow, but let's not take that. (Even though I want to)

-—

- Pencils and pens

- 1x blanket

- wired earphones

- a power bank

- and a charger that fits with my phone

—-

And now their storage

The apocalypse started a month ago, judging by the news, so there shouldn't be a lot of stuff left in here.

As expected, there were a couple bottles of water in here along with half a dozen more cup noodles.

I threw the stuff I found into the bag I found and headed back to the kitchen to dump more stuff in it.

There were some metal forks left in the drawers at the kitchen, so I grabbed some to use as projectiles.

Lastly, although not as sharp as mine, I found a regular knife inside the drawer as well. I planned on giving this to Yui. It already came in it's own plastic sheath so there was no need to make one again.

"Yo Yui it's time to le-"

As I open the door, she runs up and hugs me tightly "I'm scared, I don't want to go."

"Sure, well take a rest first but we need to head out eventually for some food."