10. Rude Guys

Things don't always go as planned, if they did I wouldn't be in this situation. Daphne has backed me into a corner and I don't know if there is a way out. Should I just be living my life without considering the consequences or should I live in fear? Do I fall in defeat or do I rise to claim victory? I seriously don't know anymore. We all want to be victorious but would it mean losing yourself along the way?

I couldn't stop my mind from overthinking every single thing that happened with Daphne, from the past to the present, it was eating me up inside. The only release I could think of would be to drive. I wanted to get in my car and not stop until I was lost and out of gas but I didn't think that would be very wise of me. I am a mature adult, or am I? Fuck being wise.

I walked home still upset. Avoiding everyone in the entrance I made my way to the elevator going to the highest floor. I got into my apartment kicking off my shoes, turning on some music, letting my hair down, and lighting a cigarette, wondering what my life has come to.

I ruffled my hair between my fingertips swaying to the beat, hoping my worries would melt away. I headed into my closet putting on a pair of black cargo pants with a silver chain hanging from the side, I coordinated my jewelry with the chain, and a tight black tank top. I put my hair in a high ponytail and a pair of thin strapped black heels. Heading out I grabbed the keys to my camaro and a pair of sunglasses since the sun was starting to set.

The garage was quiet until I started my car. It roars to life and it makes my heart beat faster and my adrenaline course through me. I swiftly made my way out of the busy New York streets. I wouldn't be able to have any fun in this traffic.

I finally made it to the nice open road, not a car in sight just a long road ahead. I drove until I forgot my problems with the wind in my hair and my music blaring loudly. I felt a sense of relief like the faster I went the less I felt.

I didn't realize the sirens were behind me until they got closer and then more followed. How long have they been tailing me, I didn't even notice. Looking down at my dashboard I realized I was going way over the speed limit. I had to weigh my options, I could keep going and possibly lose them but they probably already know my license plate now. There's no point in running from the inevitable. I pulled over to the side of the now dark streets, watching as two police officers approached my car.

One came up to my window as the other walked around the car. "License and registration," he said as I rushed through my Prada purse to find the documents. Once I handed them over he continued, "Ma'am were you aware that you were going 50 over the speed limit?"

Being truthful, I replied with a quiet "no."

"Step out of the vehicle."

For what, I thought. "Officer is this necessary, I promise it won't happen again," I wasn't in the mood for this shit.

"Have you had anything to drink tonight?"

Even after saying no, he went through all his procedures making me walk in a stupid straight line while the other officer kept eyeing my ass. Yea, definitely not in the mood for this shit.

"You're going to have to come with us." He said as he made me put my hands on the car then handcuffed me, adding to my stack of bracelets. This was very excessive for no reason. He went through his whole speech saying what I did is a punishable offence. These officers need to get a life. I mean I get it I was going fast but look at the road no one is here, a ticket would have been sufficient.

I sat in the back of the cop car watching as my beautiful camaro got towed away, those bastards.

We finally made it to the police station back in the heart of the city. They said I would be held for 12 hours. They are being so unfair. I stood there, my back against the dirty wall, in the stupid cell with nothing to do. I asked to call my lawyer but the asshole said no, I'm not an expert on rights but I'm pretty sure that's violating one of them.

"Anyone have a cigarette?" I asked loudly. No one gave me the answer I wanted.

One of the officers came over banging on the bars telling me to 'shut my pretty mouth.' God, all these men are disgusting.

I sat there for what seemed like hours staring at the wall when I saw the last person I would ever expect to see walk in, Nate fucking Harris. He didn't notice me at first and I kept my head down, this was so embarrassing. Nate talked to the officer behind the desk briefly before his blue eyes met mine and he lost it.

"What the fuck!" He growled at the guard, "why the fuck is she in there?" I kept my eyes on the ground by his shoes.

"Uh um...she was arrested for speeding," the guy mumbled out as he was shaking in his boots.

"Speeding?!" He asked with a look of disgust "by who?"

"Connors."

"Get me Connors, and let her the fuck out of there," he said through gritted teeth.

The officer fumbled with his keys as he made his way over to the cell. "I'm so sorry," he said to me looking right in my eyes, seeming genuine.

What's going on? Does Nate know this guy who's shitting his pants at the sight of him? Why is he even here? Nate came over to me and gave me a warm hug, asking "are you ok?"

"Yea, I'm fine but these officers are assholes," I said with the anger evident on my face.

Nate just scoffed and said "tell me about it," then he hugged me tighter saying "don't worry I'll handle them."

I sat there alone as Nate 'handled them,' whatever that meant. When he finally came over to me, everyone seemed like they were back in check, not even glancing at me.

"Ready to go?" He asked as he dangled the keys to my camaro.

"Yea, I'm ready," I said uneasy, knowing that as soon as we left I would play a game of 20 questions just to get some answers.

"One condition," he said with a smirk and a gilmer of mischief in his eyes, "I drive."

Oh we'll see about that.