Chapter 44: New Light Pt.2

Start from the beginning

"Um, because you were, hurt?" The girl appears to be almost insulted by the insinuation. "Jeez, who pissed in your rice? No one actually because I made it. But seriously, what kind of question is that? We're not goblins down here!"

"Oh...sorry." I mutter, a little embarrassed. Can I really believe what she says? There are some other races and settlements which the System connects to Earth that aren't hostile, but it's hard to believe that the freaking Underworld would have nice people. "If you don't mind me asking, what are you, exactly?"

"Not a goblin..." She says with a deadpan stare. After a few seconds, she cracks up laughing and sips her tea. "Just kidding, kidding, okay! Sheesh, I heard you guys don't know much, but I've never had a good conversation with one of your kind. My people are known as the Nehilim. We're one of the twelve clans of the Underworld. You can call me Delphie. What's your name?"

"Hei."

"Well, nice to make your acquaintance, Hei! I'm sorry it had to be under such circumstances, but I'm sure you'll be on your feet soon!" She finishes her tea and rises to stand. "Unfortunately, I can't stay any longer. There's something I need to attend to, so I'll have to leave you here. See you in a bit! When I get back, you can tell me what happened to you. And why you have that eye...I have to admit, I've never seen anything quite like it."

"You think my eyes are weird?" I reach up and tug at the makeshift eyepatch over my left eye. The strange girl snorts and points at a mirror in the corner before walking outside. Her violet hair flounces as she shuts the door.

"I took a peek under the patch. Sorry, couldn't resist! Okay, talk to you later!"

When Delphie is gone, I'm left alone to my thoughts.

Nehilim? Fallen angels? I've never encountered that species before. Despite the differences, they're incredibly similar to humans. The System sure is strange. Also, she mentioned that there are others like me down here? I suppose it's entirely possible that I'm not the only one who found this place. But what was it doing attached to the bottom of a newbie dungeon? And what was with those mutants? I wonder if people were here in my last life?

A billion questions circulate through my mind, but answers are hand to tease out from the mess. Stretching, I test my body. It hurts to move, but in a good way. I can tell that my body is mending itself well. Getting out of the bed is a surprisingly difficult task, but once the blood begins to flow, I gain confidence. The System didn't let me down. Even broken bones are nothing with enough points in Stamina! Speaking of which, it seems the Nehilim are aware of the System as well. Does that mean they can level? I spent all my time killing the enemies in front of me in my past life rather than asking too many questions. But if there are nonhostile creatures, would they have more answers?

Slowly, I go to the mirror and examine myself closely. My frame has grown incredibly skinny from my time in the Void Prism. However, I feel rested after two weeks in bed. As soon as I see my reflection though, I see what Delphie meant about my eyes. Even the one which isn't behind an eyepatch seems almost like its glowing. After a few seconds, I calm down and my head clears as the blood comes rushing back in. My right eye soon seems almost normal, though if one were to look closely, they might be able to catch a strange spark jumping around behind the brown iris. That just leaves...

Reaching under the eyepatch, I sneak a peak at my left eye. The sight makes me jump a little. Jeez. So, it really happened. What the hell did the System give me? It's like staring into a black hole. Immediately after removing the World Tree's leaf from my face, the world transforms into squiggly black and white lines and I can see the weak fires of life burning inside of me. Hastily, I replace the eyepatch, grabbing the mirror for balance as I grow dizzy. Damn, I hate this thing!