𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

When I first came into the city I ran into a soldier that told me that this had been going on for a few hours at least now. I didn't know how much longer this could last. There were far more titans than soldiers in the district right now, and they just kept spilling in through the hole the Colossal Titan or Armoured Titan knocked through.

I swung from building to building, searching for anyone I recognized, but all I passed so far were corpses. More minutes had gone by as I called out my friends' names.

"Eren! Jean! Connie!" No response.

"Sasha! Armin! Mikasa! Eren!" No response again.

I took in another gasp of air, ready to bellow out their names again but was cut off.

"Y/n?" I nearly slammed into a building when I turned to see Jean and around ten to fifteen others all standing and sitting on a roof. I quickly turned around and fastened my pace. While swinging through the air I almost cried at the sight of them. Almost everyone was there. Keyword: almost.

I landed on the shingles of the roof and leaped onto Jean. He was so tall now, but still the same little horse-face guy I knew. He gripped me tightly in his hold but then pulled me away from him- still holding me by the shoulders.

"What the hell are you doing here?!"

"I came to save your asses," I say with a smirk like it was obvious. He rolled his eyes and pushed me completely off him. "I thought you were with the Scouts. Are they here yet?" He askes frantically. I'm about to say no when I catch sight of my two favorite dorks.

"Y/n!" I turned to see Connie and Sasha barreling at me at an ungodly pace. Jean quickly sidestepped out of the way right before they launched themselves at me, making us all fall to the floor in a pile of limbs.

"I missed you guys too," I laughed. Once we got up they both began to ask me questions, but I was too preoccupied to answer them, still looking to see where Eren, Armin, and Mikasa were. I think Jean saw this and ripped the two hooligans off of me.

"Armin's over there," he began to say and I started to sprint over there but he grabbed my arm, "but he's-"

I didn't hear what else he had to say as I shrugged him off and raced towards Armin, but my steps slightly faltered at his face. It wasn't even a pale white that his skin had turned to, but a horrible shade of gray. His eyes were wide as he stared at the floor. He sat against the side of the roof, the dark brick contrasting against his golden hair.

I knelt down to his level. "Armin," I say hesitantly while placing a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at me and it took him a few seconds to realize who I was. He seemed like he was about to vomit when he recognized me. "Armin, where's Eren and Mikasa?" I still looked around but they weren't there.

I let him have a few moments to think about what he was going to say. I still knelt down on my knees, making our faces level.

"Mikasa was sent to help out the rear guard." This didn't surprise me; Mikasa was always a few steps behind me in everything while training. She was only second to me. They'd be fucking stupid not to have her fight with the more skilled soldiers.

I waited for Armin to say where Eren was but he choked up. I comfortably rubbed his shoulder, but I was still confused as hell. I started to worry when he still wouldn't meet my eyes.

"Armin," I say my voice tense. "Where's Eren?" A single tear slid down his face as he uttered his next words.

"He's dead."

My breathing halted in my chest and it was like someone was stabbing at my heart. My eyes started to water and my body shook, but I didn't cry. I couldn't cry right now. Don't break down. Don't break down. Save it for later; these people need you. Don't break.