𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

After Mikasa ripped Eren and me off of one another we went inside the mess hall to finally eat some food, and I could tell my stomach was thankful for it from the monstrous noises it was letting out earlier.

Once we all came through the doors, side by side, all heads of the cadets-in-training shot towards us- but that was to be expected since we did make a whole spectacle of our reunion. I glared at them, silently daring them to say something.

"O-Oi! Stop staring at them!" Connie came walking up to me, two trays in hand. The dim candlelight that illuminated the room shined on him, making his yellow eyes glint a bit.

I smiled at him, grateful for his effective words: everyone who was gawking at us with suspicious looks went back to eating their food. He held the tray out for me to take.

"Oh, for me Baldy?" He looks at me with faint displeasure at my words, taking his hand holding the tray back from my reach.

"Tch, not anymore," he says while shoving the tray into Armin's hands.

I snicker at his expression. "I'm sorry, Connie."

He just hums in response to my apology and walks away, but after taking a few steps he calls back. "I saved you guys a seat."

"Thank you, Connie!" I shout to him while chuckling, noting the small grin creeping onto his mouth. Mikasa, Eren, and I make our way to pick up our food from the cooks.

"Is that your boyfriend?" My head shoots towards Eren. He's shoveling food into his tray, trying to look nonchalant while avoiding my eyes.

"No, I just met him. Why? You jealous, Yaeger?" I ask him smirking while wagging my eyebrows up and down.

He shoves my face away with a tch. I nudged him in the shoulder in response and made my way to the table where Connie saved seats for us, but quickly went back to pick up a piece of bread for the potato girl. I heard from Connie that she was ordered to run till sunset.

My tray slams down on the table, starling Connie who I sat down next to- Eren right by my side. My cheeks reddened the tiniest bit as our shoulders were flush against each other as we settled down.

"Are these your friends, Y/n?" Bertholdt asked hesitantly from across the table, Reiner right beside him, curious about the answer too.

I nod. "We lived in Shiganshina together but got separated when Wall Maria fell."

"You guys lived in Shiganshina?!" A random boy sitting at a table nearby asked loudly. My hand gripped on the bread I was eating, knowing a whole floodgate of prying questions were about to be asked.

My mind goes back to those terrible moments where everything changed; the sound of the titans' footsteps echoed in my mind like it all happened yesterday.

I let Eren answer the questions everyone was asking. A crowd had formed around us, Connie included as he went to crouch right in front of Eren to hear better.

I was zoned out, slurping my soup and blocking out the kids' questions, until I heard the clink of Eren's spoon fall into his bowl. My head turned towards him to see his face screwed and pale. His hand shot to his mouth like he was about to vomit all over the table. God, I never even asked him what he saw that day.

My hand tugged on the hem of his shirt- out of everyone's sight- and broke him out of his troubled trance. He didn't make any move of acknowledgment or thanks, no that I cared though- we always had each other's back.

"C'mon. That's enough questions, all right." Bless you, freckles.

I go back to eating my food, silently chatting to Armin beside me. He told me about his grandfather. He seemed fine while talking about it, but as always, I saw right through him. His eyes held pain.