20.| I'll Never Give Up Hope

Start from the beginning

July

Lucas was currently with Landon and werewolf Rafael. Trying his best to keep the two boys company as he set up his movie date with Josie for later.

"So I should probably tell you I moved rooms last month," Landon announces to the wolf. "Ours was getting painted, and I figured I'd move back in once you were, you know, you again. But if for any reason, you become you while I'm out, like, looking for ways to help you become you, I just didn't want you to go back and see that I wasn't in our room anymore and think that I bailed on you, because I would never do that, obviously."

Rafael let out low growls

"Lucas is dating, Josie," Landon adds as well. "I don't think that was important but you should be up to date."

Lucas snorted before lighting up a sparkler. "Happy Fourth of July, boys."

"Happy Fourth," Landon repeats.

After a moment the three ended up going their separate ways. Lucas had to meet with Josie and Alaric since the man needed to talk to the couple about Malivore.

Right now the three were walking downtown speaking about Alaric's failures.

"No matter what path I go down, it seems like a dead-end," Alaric explains. "I mean you were outside with all the demons, but there were at least two other people with Landon the night Malivore was destroyed."

"If there was, I would've remembered, Ric," Lucas informs the man. "I created Malivore, and I remember anyone or thing that goes and comes out that pit."

"But I don't understand that, because whoever was there left Fibers, footprints, hair—I mean it could've been one of the demons." Alaric shrugs. "But that would just make less sense."

Lucas sighed. "Listen, Ric. Nothing went into Malivore."

Alaric sighed

Josie took this time to get information from her father. "So dad, I was hoping we could talk about the ascendant, what it has to do with the Merge."

Alaric narrowed his eyes. "Wait, is that Landon right there?" the man says walking away.

Lucas let out a snort, earning a glare from Josie.

"Come on, you sour patch." Lucas chuckles as he took her hand.

The four talked about Rafael and Malivore. Landon explained how he and Lucas had read almost every book in town, in search of a solution to get Rafael back.

"We keep hitting dead end after dead end." Landon sighs

"Join the club," Josie says

"Hey," Alaric says offendedly

Josie then turned towards the Phoenix. "Landon, can you ask my dad why he won't give me answers to my very simple questions on how my sister and I can survive past the age of 22?"

"It's because your dad doesn't have any answers he's able to give you. That's why, sweetheart." Alaric replies with a tight smile.

The witch seemed unimpressed. "Able to or willing?"

Lucas and Landon both awkwardly watched the father and daughter argue with each other.